flume-user mailing list archives

From SaravanaKumar TR <saran0081...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need suggestion on reliable source for log processing
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2014 10:51:43 GMT
Ahmed,

Can you please let me know how we configure logrotate.conf to move logs to
flume spool directory.
Because just having rotate directly in flume directory ends up with error I
mentioned.

Thanks,

On Fri, Nov 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM, SaravanaKumar TR <saran0081986@gmail.com>
wrote:

> yes got it.I think we don't have the option to do without suffix.
>
> Sometimes flume throws error as "java.lang.IllegalStateException: File has
> changed size since being read" But I don't see any reason for a process to
> modify file after being moved to spool directory because its moved to spool
> directory via logrotate.
>
> Will flume has the option to notify us .with the process name/pid which
> modifies the file.
>
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 11:26 PM, Ahmed Vila <avila@devlogic.eu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Saravana,
>>
>> I think there is no override for the .completed suffix.
>> Also, I think there is no way for Flume to distinguish which file it
>> already processed and which not.
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 4:54 AM, SaravanaKumar TR <saran0081986@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ahmed,
>>>
>>> I have a  query with flume spool directory option.
>>>
>>> Is that possible to ignore fileSuffix option in spool dir source.It
>>> seems by default it will append .COMPLETED suffix.I don't want to append
>>> any suffix to the ingested file.
>>>
>>> Please let me  know if its possible.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Saravana

It cannot

It's up to

as your disk is
due to high IO with it,

into - if the
time while it was down ?

be taken as a trade off.

channel fills up.

use case, simply
sort of tail-f or streaming on a
mostly don't in high speed
failures - if you need
you'll face dropped entries
as in most cases you won't know

TR <

flume doesn't have any
by me.

me with any other log
here to move real time data to

Vila <avila@devlogic.eu

as there is no way
will not wait for
If Cnannel is full it will back-off to
just stop ingesting.

the tail -f into another
duplicate file.

Java application
create multiple output files via
application itself knowing anything

SaravanaKumar TR <

will rename the existing
and create a new file as <logfile> at 00:00

policy of application for
out the option of using spooling directory

options other than

PM, Ahmed Vila <

rotation is done and how
log file handles log rotation.
just reopens the log file when it
example, nginx reopens the log file when it
it doesn't stop the process. Some applications

the log file, then you can
policy to be per minute.
won't satisfy such case, so
job to do it.
finished logs location and
spooling directory source doesn't freak out about

source is a way to go, as it
just renamed.

AM, SaravanaKumar TR <
wrote:

> [...]
1.5.0.Quick setup explanation

command for a logfile.

time data from logfile to HDFS.

is not a reliable source , as we may
is down.

option "spooling directory source"
reliable source.But here I have a single logfile
in , so I dont see option of moving the file to

providing any other reliable
where logfile gets appended with data and logfile
at the end of the day.

is for authorised use by the
This email contains confidential information.
disclosed to, retained or used by, any party other
Any unauthorised distribution, dissemination
or its attachments, and/or any use of any
them, is strictly prohibited and may be illegal.
recipient then please promptly delete this
and all copies and inform the sender directly via
send to us may be monitored by systems or
communicant for the purposes of ascertaining
complies with the law and company policies.