flume-user mailing list archives

From Andy Yang <ayang...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Re: FlumeTools/FileChannelIntegrityTool
Date Mon, 03 Nov 2014 21:19:51 GMT
Hi Hari,

Yes, I managed to get the tool to actually do something:

java -cp "/usr/lib/flume-ng/lib/*" org.apache.flume.tools.FlumeToolsMain FCINTEGRITYTOOL -l
/path/to/.flume/file-channel/data

but it looks like it just gives me the same exception that Flume itself throws when trying
to restart:

Exception in thread "main" java.io.IOException: Unable to read next Transaction from log file
/path/to/.flume/file-channel/data/log-xxx at offset 513457598
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFile$SequentialReader.next(LogFile.java:628)
    at org.apache.flume.tools.FileChannelIntegrityTool.run(FileChannelIntegrityTool.java:87)
    at org.apache.flume.tools.FlumeToolsMain.run(FlumeToolsMain.java:64)
    at org.apache.flume.tools.FlumeToolsMain.main(FlumeToolsMain.java:31)
Caused by: com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: While parsing a protocol message,
the input ended unexpectedly in the middle of a field.  This could mean either than the input
has been truncated or that an embedded message misreported its own length.
    at com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException.truncatedMessage(InvalidProtocolBufferException.java:49)
    at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.refillBuffer(CodedInputStream.java:711)
    at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.readRawBytes(CodedInputStream.java:776)
    at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.readBytes(CodedInputStream.java:294)
    at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFieldFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:484)
    at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:461)
    at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:579)
    at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:280)
    at com.google.protobuf.CodedInputStream.readGroup(CodedInputStream.java:240)
    at com.google.protobuf.UnknownFieldSet$Builder.mergeFieldFrom(UnknownFieldSet.java:488)
    at com.google.protobuf.GeneratedMessage$Builder.parseUnknownField(GeneratedMessage.java:438)
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.proto.ProtosFactory$Put$Builder.mergeFrom(ProtosFactory.java:3444)
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.proto.ProtosFactory$Put$Builder.mergeFrom(ProtosFactory.java:3300)
    at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessageLite$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessageLite.java:212)
    at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessage.java:746)
    at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeFrom(AbstractMessage.java:238)
    at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessageLite$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessageLite.java:282)
    at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessage.java:760)
    at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessageLite$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessageLite.java:288)
    at com.google.protobuf.AbstractMessage$Builder.mergeDelimitedFrom(AbstractMessage.java:752)
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.proto.ProtosFactory$Put.parseDelimitedFrom(ProtosFactory.java:3257)
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.Put.readProtos(Put.java:98)
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.TransactionEventRecord.fromByteArray(TransactionEventRecord.java:204)
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFileV3$SequentialReader.doNext(LogFileV3.java:359)
    at org.apache.flume.channel.file.LogFile$SequentialReader.next(LogFile.java:624)
    ... 3 more

So, I guess "Unable to read next transaction" due to "While parsing a protocol message, the
input ended unexpectedly in the middle of a field" is not the kind of file channel integrity
problem the tool can fix.

Which leads me to ask, "is there anything else we can do with this file channel beyond discarding
all the data currently persisted within?"

Thanks,
Andy