flume-user mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: checkpoint lifecycle
Date Wed, 29 Jan 2014 18:55:42 GMT
What is the capacity of your channel? I would assume that the checkpoint size will remain the
same throughout.

Thanks,
Hari

On Wednesday, January 29, 2014 at 9:37 AM, Umesh Telang wrote:

> Thanks for the quick response, Hari!
>
> We are using version 1.4.0 of Flume.
>
> The contents and sizes of the checkpoint directory are as below:
> $ ls -lh
> total 1.2G
> -rw-r--r-- 1 flume flume 1.2G Jan 29 17:34 checkpoint
> -rw-r--r-- 1 flume flume   25 Jan 29 17:34 checkpoint.meta
> -rw-r--r-- 1 flume flume    0 Jan 28 07:56 in_use.lock
> -rw-r--r-- 1 flume flume   32 Jan 29 17:34 inflightputs
> -rw-r--r-- 1 flume flume   32 Jan 29 17:34 inflighttakes
>

> Thanks,
> Umesh

may vary in size. What version of flume are you using? Newer versions should have more files
in that directory.

> On Wednesday, January 29, 2014, Umesh Telang <Umesh.Telang@bbc.co.uk (mailto:Umesh.Telang@bbc.co.uk)>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Under a file channels checkpoint directory, I see the following files:
> > checkpoint
> > checkpoint.meta
> >
> > I wanted to know whether the size of the checkpoint file should reach a steady state
if the amount and rate of input to the file chain remains the same.

> > My understanding is that the checkpoint file is associate with the write ahead log.
Is this something that continues to grow indefinitely?

> > Or is there some lifecycle management that cleans out very old entries from the
write ahead log?

> > If not, is there some strategy that we should employ to manage the size of the checkpoint
file (in our case, it's currently over 1GB after 2 days' operation).

> > Thanks for any advice on this.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Umesh

> > http://www.bbc.co.uk
> > This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views
which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
> > If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
> > Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it
and notify the sender immediately.