flume-user mailing list archives

From James Estes <james.es...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optional Channels
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2013 15:24:11 GMT
We're on flume 1.4.0.  Hm.  So looking at the code you are right…I'd not looked closely enough
at the transaction behavior for the MemoryChannel.  When we started backing up, I just saw
lots of the "Put queue for MemoryTransaction of capacity … full" ChannelExceptions and thought
it must be retrying them.  I can look into it a bit more, it may just be a performance issue?
 Maybe the bytesRemaning semaphore could be something I'd need to adjust?  In any case, we
definitely were not keeping up (we were falling further and further behind).  I wound up essentially
copying PseudoTxMemoryChannel and switched it to use offer instead of put and we were able
to catch up quickly (dropping events of course).  Would it be reasonable to change the PseudoTxMemoryChannel
to use offer vs put (even if via a config)?

James

On Dec 2, 2013, at 2:48 PM, Hari Shreedharan <hshreedharan@cloudera.com> wrote:

> What version of Flume are you using? If the channel does not accept the events, the transaction
does get rolled back (so that the channel drops the references to the events), but the source
would not retry the events again - since we do not throw a ChannelException to the source.
You will see the rolled back log message, but the events are dropped and not tried again -
the next set would get tried.

> Thanks,
> Hari
>
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 at 9:21 AM, James Estes wrote:
>
>> Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. We're indexing our logs into
elastic search just for added real time convenience and want to make that step optional. Essentially,
if we fall behind writing to ES, we would prefer to just skip ES (since we have a more durable
channel for higher latency querying of the same data). Optional Channels seemed to fit, but
we haven't had much success.

>> First, we set our config to have a Memory Channel and made it optional. If the ES
sink fell behind, the channel would fill and reject new events. However, the channel throws
an exception and the Channel Processor rolls back the transaction, causing the events to be
put back on the queue to be attempted again. The doc for getOptionalChannels says "A failure
in writing the event to these channels must be ignored." Should the transaction just always
commit when optional channels fail (basically a best-effort commit-what-you-could since it
was optional anyway)?

>> Second, we tried the PseudoTxMemoryChannel, but found it to also continue to bottleneck
on ES. Turns out that it uses queue.put instead of queue.offer, which means it will block
until there is room in the queue to add the event. MemoryChannel uses offer. Should PseudoTxMemoryChannel
switch to using offer always, or at least have an optional 'failFast' to enable that behavior?

>> Is there another way I can accomplish truly optional channels? I do find it encouraging
it takes this much effort to make Flume drop events :)