flume-user mailing list archives

From Wolfgang Hoschek <whosc...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Dynamic Key=Value Parsing with an Interceptor?
Date Wed, 13 Nov 2013 00:44:46 GMT
Consider if the splitKeyValue command is applicable here, perhaps in combination with readLine,
split and grok.

Example is here: http://cloudera.github.io/cdk/docs/current/cdk-morphlines/morphlinesReferenceGuide.html#/splitKeyValue

Wolfgang.

On Nov 12, 2013, at 3:18 PM, Matt Wise wrote:

> Paul,
>   Thanks for the feedback. I looked briefly at Morphline, but wasn't sure if it was what
I needed. I will take a deeper dive this week and see if it will do what we want. Ultimately
the reason we're not changing the apps is that we honestly don't always have a lot of control.
Many of the apps are 3rd party apps where we just barely have the ability to adjust their
log-line-formats.

> Matt Wise
> Sr. Systems Architect
> Nextdoor.com
>

> On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Paul Chavez <pchavez@verticalsearchworks.com>
wrote:
> I think there may be two ‘out of box’ ways to do this kind of thing. First would
be using the regex extract interceptor with multiple serializers keying on various fields.
However that’s not really dynamic and just kind of a half-step better from one interceptor
for each field as you mentioned. Second would be to use the morphline interceptor to parse
your event body and insert headers as needed. I have to admit I have no experience with this
interceptor but in reading the documentation it seems designed for this kind of use case.

> Ultimately though, when faced with this we opted to push this into the app layer. Is
there a reason the applications can’t write these key/value pairs as headers in the first
place? We use an HTTP source and when we wrote the logging class for it on our app side we
put similar functionality in as category/subcategory headers. Then flume doesn’t have to
have any special interceptors beyond a default static one in case the headers are completely
missing, and we write to HDFS with tokenized paths so each permutation of those headers gets
a separate directory.

> If you continue to explore this issue, please keep us updated. I especially would like
to hear some real world morphline examples.

> Hope that helps,
>
> Paul Chavez

and separate them with a common separator.

> If we did this, what do we need to do in Flume to get Flume to parse out the key=value
pairs into dynamic headers? We pass our data from Flume into both HDFS and ElasticSearch sinks.
We would really like to have these fields dynamically sent to the sinks for much easier parsing
and analysis later.

> Any thoughts on this? I know that we can define a unique interceptor for each service
that looks for explicit field names ... but thats a nightmare to manage. I really want something
truly dynamic.