flume-user mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Unable to deliver event. Exception follows. java.lang.NullPointerException
Date Tue, 29 Oct 2013 19:52:20 GMT
Nope. You need to insert it at some other location.

Thanks,
Hari

On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM, George Pang wrote:

> Hi Hari,
>
> Is it (inserting a rowKey header into event) something I can do in flume.conf? I tried
to do that but I am new to flume.

> Thank you,
>
> George
>

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Hari Shreedharan <hshreedharan@cloudera.com (mailto:hshreedharan@cloudera.com)>
wrote:
> > Did you insert a rowKey header into the event? If the header is not there, you are
obviously going to get null returned from currentEvent.getHeaders().get(“rowKey”). You
need to insder the header into the event at some point.

> > Thanks,
> > Hari
> >

> > On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 12:30 PM, George Pang wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Ashish,
> > >
> > > Actually it starts with headers. In the example code has "  String rowKeyStr
= currentEvent.getHeaders().get("rowKey");" but there is no such header found. If I get rid
of this line, the rest will complain unable to deliver event. But I checked the event, it's
not null.

> > > I am trying to use flume to save to hbase, and use the example http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2012/11/streaming-data-into-apache-hbase-using-apache-flume/
for customized serializer.

> > > flume.conf:
> > >
> > > logger-agent.sources = Syslog-UDP
> > > logger-agent.sinks = Syslog-HBase
> > > logger-agent.channels = Syslog-HBase-Channel
> > >
> > > logger-agent.sources.Syslog-UDP.channels = Syslog-HBase-Channel
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.channel = Syslog-HBase-Channel
> > >
> > > logger-agent.sources.Syslog-UDP.type = syslogudp
> > > logger-agent.sources.Syslog-UDP.port = 5140
> > > logger-agent.sources.Syslog-UDP.host = localhost
> > >
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.type = org.apache.flume.sink.hbase.AsyncHBaseSink
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.table = syslog2
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.columnFamily = cluster
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.serializer.payloadColumn = dev
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.serializer.incrementColumn = icol
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.serializer.columns = forum,inbound,outbound
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.batchSize = 5000
> > > logger-agent.sinks.Syslog-HBase.serializer = org.apache.flume.sink.hbase.SimpleAsyncHbaseEventSerializer
> > >
> > > logger-agent.channels.Syslog-HBase-Channel.type = memory
> > >

> > > Flume version: 1.4
> > >
> > > org.apache.flume.FlumeException: No row key found in headers!
> > >     at com.ib.SplittingSerializer.setEvent(SplittingSerializer.java:43)
> > >     at org.apache.flume.sink.hbase.AsyncHBaseSink.process(AsyncHBaseSink.java:184)
> > >     at org.apache.flume.sink.DefaultSinkProcessor.process(DefaultSinkProcessor.java:68)
> > >     at org.apache.flume.SinkRunner$PollingRunner.run(SinkRunner.java:147)
> > >     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > George

please share Flume version, Agent configuration and exception stacktrace.

From looking it up in forums, I think it may be caused by empty header. If so, how is a timestamp
header is added? if not what cause the event undelivery to happen?