flume-user mailing list archives

From Paul Chavez <pcha...@verticalsearchworks.com>
Subject RE: sleep() in script doesn't work when called by exec Source
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2013 21:26:09 GMT
I would start by logging performance metrics from your flume agent which will let you determine
which component is falling behind. It's likely a sink though, so the first thing you can do
is just add an extra sink where you think it's falling behind. You can always add additional
sinks pointing at the same channel and they will both attempt to take as fast as they can
and since it's transactional they won't ever attempt to send the same data (barring transaction
failures).

I'm not sure if just adding another avro sink pointing at the same host is a viable method
to improve performance, I would think just bumping up the transaction capacity would help
there. I know there's a recent thread with some research on the fileChannel being the actual
bottleneck though so it may work.

In my case I just added another hdfs sink to each channel on my last hop and that was enough
to clear the bottleneck.

Good luck,
Paul Chavez

From: Wang, Yongkun | Yongkun | BDD [mailto:yongkun.wang@mail.rakuten.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2013 10:27 PM
To: <user@flume.apache.org>
Subject: Re: sleep() in script doesn't work when called by exec Source

If it happened at the last hop in your test, it could possibly happen at the first hop.
Maybe the network is not fast in my test. I got "ChannelException: The channel has reached
it's capacity." either on agent side (first hop) or collector side (last hop sinking to hadoop).

My configuration of agent:

agent1.sources = spd1
agent1.sources.spd1.type = spooldir
agent1.sources.spd1.spoolDir = /log/flume-ng/agent1/spooldir/spd1
agent1.sources.spd1.deserializer.maxLineLength = 8192
agent1.sources.spd1.channels = file1

agent1.channels = file1
agent1.channels.file1.type = file
agent1.channels.file1.checkpointDir = /log/flume-ng/agent1/checkpoint
agent1.channels.file1.dataDirs = /log/flume-ng/agent1/data
agent1.channels.file1.capacity = 2000000
agent1.channels.file1.transactionCapacity = 100

agent1.sinks = avro1
agent1.sinks.avro1.type = avro
agent1.sinks.avro1.channel = file1
agent1.sinks.avro1.hostname = remote_host
agent1.sinks.avro1.port = 33333

Thanks.

Best Regards,
Yongkun Wang