flume-user mailing list archives

From Connor Woodson <cwoodson....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Problem Events
Date Sat, 03 Aug 2013 01:27:07 GMT
As another option to solve the problem of having a bad event in a channel:
using a fail-over sink processor, log all bad events to a local file. And
to be extra cautious, add a third failover of a null sink. This will mean
that events will always flow through your channel. The file sink should
almost never fail, so you shouldn't be losing events in the process. And
then you can re-process everything in the file if you still want those
events for something.

For the system of having Flume detect bad events, I think implementing
something like above is better than discarding events that fail X times.
For instance, if you have an Avro sink -> Avro source, and you're
restarting your source, Flume would end up discarding events unnecessarily.
Instead, how about implementing the above system and then go a step
further: Flume will attempt to re-send the bad events itself. And then if a
bad event isn't able to be sent after X attempts, it is can be discarded.

I envision this system as an extension to the current File Channel; when an
event fails, it is written to a secondary File Channel from which events
can be pulled when the main channel isn't in use. It would add headers like
"lastAttempt" and "numberOfAttempts" to events. Then it can be configurable
for a "min time between attempts" and "maximum attempts." When an event
fails the second time, those headers are updated and it goes back into the
fail-channel. If it comes out of the fail-channel but the lastAttempt is
too recent, it goes back in. If it fails more times than the maximum, it is
written to a final location (perhaps its just sent to another sink; maybe
this would have to be in a sink processor). Assuming all of those steps are
error-free, then all messages are preserved, and the badly-formatted
eventually get stored somewhere else. (This system could be hacked together
with current code - fail over sink processor -> avro sink -> avro source on
same instance, but that's a little too hacky).

Just some thoughts.

- Connor

On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Arvind Prabhakar <arvind@apache.org> wrote:

> This sounds like a critical problem that can cause pipelines to block
> permanently. If you find yourself in this situation, a possible work around
> would be to decommission the channel, remove its data and route the flow
> with a new empty channel. If you have the ability to identify which
> component is causing the problem and see if you can remove it temporarily
> to let the problem events pass through another peer component.
>
> I have also created FLUME-2140 [1] which will eventually allow the
> pipelines to identify and divert such bad events. If you have any logs,
> data, configurations that can be shared and will help provide more details
> for this problem, it will be great if you could attach them to this jira
> and provide your comments.
>
> [1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-2140
>
> Regards,
> Arvind Prabhakar
>
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 10:33 AM, Paul Chavez <
> pchavez@verticalsearchworks.com> wrote:
>
>> **
>> There's no way to deal with a bad event once it's in the channel, but you
>> can mitigate future issues by having a timestamp interceptor bound to the
>> source feeding the channel. There is a parameter 'preserve existing' that
>> will only add the header if it doesn't exist. If you don't want to have
>> 'bad' time data in there you could try a static interceptor with a specific
>> past date so that corrupt events fall into a deterministic path in HDFS.
>>
>> I use this technique to prevent stuck events for both timestamp headers
>> as well as some of our own custom headers we use for tokenized paths. The
>> static interceptor will insert an arbitrary header if it doesn't exist so I
>> have a couple that put in the value 'Unknown' so that I can still send the
>> events through the HDFS sink but I can also find them later if need be.
>>
>> hope that helps,
>> Paul Chavez
>>
>>  ------------------------------

JSON parser to

> [...]