flume-user mailing list archives

From Paul Chavez <pcha...@verticalsearchworks.com>
Subject RE: HDFSEventSink Memory Leak Workarounds
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 15:58:01 GMT
This thread reminded me to check my configs since I use a low idleTimeout and bucket events
by hour. Turned out I still had the default rollInterval set so I disabled that and updated
my configs.

Now I see a log of exceptions logged as warnings in the log immediately following an idleTimeout:

8:55:40.663 AM INFO org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter
Closing idle bucketWriter /flume/WebLogs/datekey=20130522/hour=08/FlumeData.1369238128886.tmp
8:55:40.675 AM INFO org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter
Renaming /flume/WebLogs/datekey=20130522/hour=08/FlumeData.1369238128886.tmp to /flume/WebLogs/datekey=20130522/hour=08/FlumeData.1369238128886
8:55:40.677 AM WARN org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.HDFSEventSink
HDFS IO error
java.io.IOException: This bucket writer was closed due to idling and this handle is thus no
longer valid
 at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.BucketWriter.append(BucketWriter.java:391)
 at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.HDFSEventSink$2.call(HDFSEventSink.java:729)
 at org.apache.flume.sink.hdfs.HDFSEventSink$2.call(HDFSEventSink.java:727)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:895)
 at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:918)
 at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

Given these are logged WARN I have been assuming they are benign errors. Is that assumption
correct?

thanks,
Paul Chavez