flume-user mailing list archives

From Mike Percy <mpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Flume secure communication
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 19:41:51 GMT
It's certainly possible to sniff the wire traffic using some tool like WireShark.

Regards,
Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 12, 2013, at 5:29 AM, Deepak Tiwari <dtiwari356@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Inder and Mike.
>
> My only thought was that since security has been a prime concern when we transfer any
data, so what could be the reason that its was not given as much priority as it could have
been. Could it be because since the transfer in RPC and using avro serialized data, so its
not same as transferring in plain text and It might be difficult if not impossible for someone
to troll?

> Regards,
>
> Deepak
>
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM, Inder Pall <inder.pall@gmail.com> wrote:
>> As a cheap solution you can always setup a ssh tunnel through port forwarding to
do this outside of flume...though it would need to be managed for timeouts/network errors

>> Inder
>>

>> On Tuesday, March 12, 2013, Mike Percy wrote:
>>> No network encryption support yet but there is a patch up at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-997
for this functionality. You are welcome to take a look and provide any comments. Not sure
what you mean by #2, you would have to share more about your requirements / use case.

>>> Regards,
>>> Mike

to Sink is secure enough. I noticed that some changes related ssl in FLUME-13 and that is
very old. I see some discussion at http://search-hadoop.com/m/Unjdh2ovsNE/v=plain but I dont
know if there is any update after.