flume-user mailing list archives

From "Rakos, Rudolf" <Rudolf.Ra...@morganstanley.com>
Subject RE: Authentication - Avro Source, Sink, RpcClient
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:29:08 GMT
Mike,

I don’t think I have approval to do that.
We’ve customized / extended many small things in Flume, and there’s just too much proprietary
code / libraries involved.

I’m really sorry. :(

I would be happy if I could help with implementing SASL properly.

Regards,
Rudolf

From: Mike Percy [mailto:mpercy@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 3:45 PM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Authentication - Avro Source, Sink, RpcClient

Rudolf, wow interesting! So it's working, huh? Can you submit a patch?

Regards,
Mike

On Tuesday, February 5, 2013, Rakos, Rudolf wrote:
Yes, I think so.

I had to make 4 small changes.
Unfortunately I couldn’t subclass these classes, but I could reuse most of the code.

•         First I added an “auth” configuration option to AvroSource and AvroSink, to
be able to enable / disable authentication.

•         AvroSource#start()

Responder responder = new SpecificResponder(AvroSourceProtocol.class, this);
if (auth) {
    responder.addRPCPlugin(new AuthenticatorRPCPlugin());
}

•         AvroSink#createConnection()

Instead of using RpcClientFactory:
client = RpcClientFactory.getInstance(clientProps);

I create my own RpcClient (I didn’t want to modify RpcClientFactory):
client = new AuthNettyAvroRpcClient(auth, ...);

•         AuthNettyAvroRpcClient#connect(long, java.util.concurrent.TimeUnit)

Instead of getting a client using the Transceiver:
avroClient = SpecificRequestor.getClient(AvroSourceProtocol.Callback.class, transceiver);

I get a client using a Requestor:
SpecificRequestor requestor = new SpecificRequestor(AvroSourceProtocol.Callback.class, transceiver);
if (auth) {
    requestor.addRPCPlugin(new AuthenticatorRPCPlugin());
}
avroClient = SpecificRequestor.getClient(AvroSourceProtocol.Callback.class, requestor);

The AuthenticatorRPCPlugin is an org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCPlugin with 3 methods overriden to
exchange the authentication data during the Avro handshake:

1.       clientStartConnect(org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext)
This is called on the client, before the handshake.

2.       serverConnecting(org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext)
This is called on the server. The connection will be aborted, if an exception is thrown here.

3.       clientFinishConnect(org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext)
This is called on the client, after the handshake.
The org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCContext#getHandshakeRequest() returns an org.apache.avro.ipc.HandshakeRequest
which contains a java.util.Map<java.lang.String, java.nio.ByteBuffer> where I could
store the authentication data (org.apache.avro.ipc.HandshakeRequest#getMeta and org.apache.avro.ipc.HandshakeRequest#setMeta
methods).

This might not be the nicest way to implement authentication, but this way it’s pretty much
transparent to Flume.
I think it would be pretty easy to implement some kind of encryption too using the other org.apache.avro.ipc.RPCPlugin
methods.

Regards,
Rudolf