flume-user mailing list archives

From <Matt.Elli...@gdc4s.com>
Subject RE: Preventing Data Loss during Restart
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 20:19:13 GMT
Yeah I’m starting to answer my own question. We’re using 1.3 so we do have Avro. We were
trying to avoid installing anything on our client (Source) machines so that we could avoid
installing Java on machines we didn’t need it on.

From: Hari Shreedharan [mailto:hshreedharan@cloudera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:42 PM
To: user@flume.apache.org
Subject: Re: Preventing Data Loss during Restart

Hi,

What version of Flume are you using? Also note that Syslog is a fire and forget protocol,
so when you reconfigure, any events not persisted to the file channel would be lost. Since
there is no way of informing the data source that the data was not written to disk, this data
could in fact be lost. We recommend using a source which actually does report failure, like
Avro/Thrift (available on trunk, not in any release yet) or HTTP. This will allow you to retry
if Flume reports failure.

Hari

--

Hari Shreedharan