flume-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: flume-cassandra
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 07:10:01 GMT
Running Flume-ng on one host (or cluster of hosts) and Cassandra on its own Cluster of hosts
is correct.  Just as all the other Flume Sinks, the Flume Cassandra Sink has to run in Rlume.
The Flume Sink writes to Cassandra using one of the supported protocols. I believe we are
using Hector but you could use Astyanax, Thrift or I suppose even CQL.  You could start with
https://github.com/btoddb/flume-ng-cassandra-sink and tailor it to meet your needs.

Ralph

On Jan 30, 2013, at 8:35 PM, Sri Ramya wrote:

>  I am running flume-ng on one host and Cassandra  on another host. How i have to connect
it. Which host i have to install flume-casandra sink? Do i need to run flume-ng on the host
which is having Cassandra?

> Please reply me...
>

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> We ended up writing our own custom sink for Cassandra so that we could customize the
fields, write to Cassandra indexes and multiple column families.  We primarily use Cassandra
to store log records and we insure they can't be duplicated by generating a guid in the Appender
that writes to Flume (via Avro).  The guid is then used as the row key.

> What do you mean by separation?
>
> We use Log4j 2's Flume Appender with the RFC5424Layout and StructuredDataMessages (see
EventLogger).  All the individual items in the StructuredDataMessage and in the ThreadContextMap
(i.e. MDC) are added to the FlumeEvent data map.  The Cassandra Sink then writes these to
individual columns in Cassandra.  The Cassandra Sink also writes these items to the appropriate
indexes so that we can perform whatever queries that perform well.  The ipAddress is definitely
one of the items we are interested in and capture in our indexes.

> Ralph
>

> On Jan 28, 2013, at 7:54 PM, Sri Ramya wrote:
>
>> hi Ralph
>>
>> I am able to integrate flume with Cassandra. But the problem is ' if i send a single
event to Cassandra to store, it is storing multiple row in Cassnadra. Thats why i thought
of shifting to logsandra. But its very difficult to to use that logsandra plug in. Any way
by your suggestionsNow i am staring work with Flume-ng.

>> Make me clear in one thing, Is there any separation of storing data in Cassandra
based on flume-ng agent(IP address)???

>> Thank you
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM, Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com>
wrote:
>> This is absolutely NOT correct.   We are using Flume NG to log to Cassandra.   We
fought with Flume OG for months trying to get it to work but it was never stable.  The architecture
of Flume OG had serious problems, which is why Flume NG was created.

>> Ralph
>>

>> On Jan 23, 2013, at 9:46 PM, Priyanka Jain wrote:
>>
>>> Hi ,
>>> Can you give details like your input format and all ...
>>> I think going with flume 0.9.4 for cassandra is better.
>>>
>>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Mike Percy <mpercy@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>> What do you mean by "collector"?
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM, Sri Ramya <ramya.1255@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thank you very much. But I need a collector in my application, flume-ng  does
not have any collector. Thats why i started with Cloudeera flum. Now i am getting a problem
with integrating flume collector with cassandra.  If any body tried it before please help
me.
>>> thank in advance.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Mike Percy <mpercy@cloudera.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Sri,
>>> Cloudera originally created Flume, then contributed it to the Apache Software
Foundation (ASF), and continues to invest heavily into it under the auspices of the ASF. The
current generation of Flume is called Flume NG. I encourage you to use the latest "NG" generation
of Flume (version 1.x) over the so-called "OG" generation (version 0.9.x).

>>> Regards,
>>> Mike
>>>

>>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Sri Ramya <ramya.1255@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Thank you very much.
>>> Can u tell me whats the difference between cloudera flume and flume-ng . And
which is the better option to use.
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:23 AM, shekhar sharma <shekhar2581@gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> You can use develop your own customized sink which can do pre-processing in flume
and then send the events to cassandra