flume-user mailing list archives

From Brock Noland <br...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Need for UDP / Multicast Source
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 22:34:34 GMT
Good to hear! Take five six thread dumps of it and then them our way.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM, Andrew Otto <otto@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> Cool, thanks for the advice!  That's a great blog post.
>
> I've changed my ways (for now at least).  I've got lots of disks to use once memory starts
working, and this node has tooooons of memory (192G).

> Here's my new flume.conf:
> https://gist.github.com/4551513
>
> This is doing better, for sure.  Note that I took out the timestamp regex_extractor just
in case that was impacting performance.  I'm using the regular ol' timestamp interceptor now.

> I'm still not doing so great though.  I'm getting about 300 Mb per minute in my HDFS
files.  I should be getting about 300G.  That's better than before though.  I've got 10% of
the data this time, rather than 0.14% :)

> On Jan 16, 2013, at 4:36 PM, Brock Noland <brock@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would use memory channel for now as opposed to file channel. For
>> file channel to keep up with that you'd need multiple disks. Also your
>> checkpoint period is super-low which will cause lots of checkpoints
>> and slow things down.
>>
>> However, I think the biggest issue is probably batch size. With that
>> much data you are likely going to want a large batch size for all
>> components involved. Something a low multiple of 1000. There is a good
>> article on this:
>> https://blogs.apache.org/flume/entry/flume_performance_tuning_part_1
>>
>> To re-cap would:
>>
>> Use memory channel for now. Once you prove things work you can work on
>> tuning file channel (going to write larger batch sizes and multiple
>> disks).
>>
>> Increase the batch size for your source/sink.
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 1:22 PM, Andrew Otto <otto@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>>> Ok, I'm trying my new UDPSource with Wikimedia's webrequest log stream.  This
is available to me via UDP Multicast.  Everything seems to be working great, except that I
seem to be missing a lot of data.

>>> Our webrequest log stream consists of about 100000 events per second, which amounts
to around 50 Mb per second.

>>> I understand that this is probably too much for a single node to handle, but
I should be able to either see most of the data written to HDFS, or at least see errors about
channels being filled to capacity.  HDFS files are set to roll every 60 seconds.  Each of
my files is only about 4.2MB, which is only 72 Kb per second.  That's only 0.14% of the data
I'm expecting to consume.

>>> Where did the rest of it go?  If Flume is dropping it, why doesn't it tell me!?
>>>
>>> Here's my flume.conf:
>>>
>>> https://gist.github.com/4551001
>>>

>>> Thanks!

I am fairly sure that if you find such a source useful, there would definitely be others who
find it useful too. I'd recommend filing a jira and starting a discussion, and then submitting
the patch. We would be happy to review and commit it.

we're investigating using Flume for our web request log HDFS imports. We've previously been
using Kafka, but have had to change short term architecture plans in order to get data into
HDFS reliably and regularly soon.

over a multicast UDP stream. I could hack something together to try and pipe this into Flume
using the existing sources (SyslogUDPSource, or maybe some combination of socat + NetcatSource),
but I'd rather reduce the number of moving parts. I'd like to consume directly from the multicast
UDP stream as a Flume source.

mainly just stripping out the syslog event header extraction, and adding in multicast Datagram
connection code. I plan on cleaning this up, and making this a generic raw UDP source, with
multicast being a configuration option.

would find useful? If so, should I open up a JIRA to track this? I've got a fork of the Flume
git repo over on github and will be doing my work there. I'd love to share it upstream if
it would be useful.