flume-user mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Reliable delivery of the events
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:20:38 GMT
Yes, if you use Flume's RpcClient interface, then you can lose data based on how your code
(which uses the RpcClient code) handles exceptions. If the RpcClient cannot deliver the event
it does throw an EventDeliveryException. You could catch this exception and retry, but yes,
you will need some way to make sure you can handle multiple failures in some way.

We recently added support for embedding a Flume agent within a host process. In this case,
you'd be able to embed a Flume agent within your process, so the embedded Flume agent can
handle downstream failure for a longer time. Your code will receive exceptions only when the
embedded agent's channel is full or experiences some other failure. This jira contains more
information: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-1502. Unfortunately, this is not
yet available in a release, but you could use Flume trunk and build it locally if you need
to deploy it urgently.

Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan

On Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Guy Peleg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From the documentation: "Flume uses a transactional approach to guarantee the reliable
delivery of the events"

> But if I have a multi-hope flow, and the first agent crashes before the message received
from the client was stored on the channel then the message is lost since the client is not
synched with Flume-NG transaction mechanism, is that correct?