flume-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Jones <andrewjone...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Custom sink - "close() called when transaction is OPEN" error
Date Fri, 16 Nov 2012 15:21:24 GMT
I tried logging the first throwable, but now that is just the
IllegalStateException.

Today I have been looking at Flume-1.3.0rc3 and I have noticed the same
problem. This is using the Avro source, File channel and our custom sink.
After Flume reloads its config, the first error message comes when the Avro
source starts up:

16 Nov 2012 16:04:25,237 INFO  [lifecycleSupervisor-1-4]
(org.apache.flume.source.AvroSource.start:142)  - Starting Avro source
source: { bindAddress: 0.0.0.0, port: 36060 }...
16 Nov 2012 16:04:25,484 ERROR
[SinkRunner-PollingRunner-DefaultSinkProcessor]
(org.apache.flume.SinkRunner$PollingRunner.run:160)  - Unable to deliver
event. Exception follows.
java.lang.IllegalStateException: close() called when transaction is OPEN -
you must either commit or rollback first
        at
com.google.common.base.Preconditions.checkState(Preconditions.java:176)
        at
org.apache.flume.channel.BasicTransactionSemantics.close(BasicTransactionSemantics.java:179)
        at
com.arm.pd.brodie.flume.sink.ResultSink.processSingle(ResultSink.java:440)
        at
com.arm.pd.brodie.flume.sink.ResultSink.process(ResultSink.java:172)
        at
org.apache.flume.sink.DefaultSinkProcessor.process(DefaultSinkProcessor.java:68)
        at
org.apache.flume.SinkRunner$PollingRunner.run(SinkRunner.java:147)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
16 Nov 2012 16:04:25,594 INFO  [lifecycleSupervisor-1-4]
(org.apache.flume.instrumentation.MonitoredCounterGroup.register:89)  -
Monitoried counter group for type: SOURCE, name: source, registered
successfully.
16 Nov 2012 16:04:25,595 INFO  [lifecycleSupervisor-1-4]
(org.apache.flume.instrumentation.MonitoredCounterGroup.start:73)  -
Component type: SOURCE, name: source started
16 Nov 2012 16:04:25,595 INFO  [lifecycleSupervisor-1-4]
(org.apache.flume.source.AvroSource.start:168)  - Avro source source
started.

I then continually get errors from the Sink, presumably as its been called
periodically to check for events in the channel. So is it possible its the
Avro source causing the issue?

There should have been nothing persisted in the file channel when
restarting.

When the transaction gets messed up like this, is there a way to refresh
it, preferably without losing any data?

I am still able to send things to flume and they get processed and inserted
by my sink, so it still seems to work OK.

Thanks,
Andrew