flume-user mailing list archives

From Parag Hukeri <paraghuk...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ExecSource tail -F stops after a while
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 13:39:24 GMT
While starting my flume-agent I did use these options:-  java -Xms512m -Xmx2048m. But that
did not help. What should I tweak in flume-env.sh? Not sure?
I noticed that the source for fileChannel was included in flume 1.2. So I tried compiling
that & using that jar; but got the exact same results with fileChannel - the process stopped
after approx 9.5 hrs (after having written approx 9.5 million records).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--- On Sat, 11/3/12, Alexander Lorenz <wget.null@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Alexander Lorenz <wget.null@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ExecSource tail -F stops after a while
To: user@flume.apache.org
Date: Saturday, November 3, 2012, 1:55 AM

Hi,

http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#exec-source
Please see the WARNING ;)

Anyhow, this error indicates that you've to less memory configured for too many events. Tune
flume-env.sh and tweak JAVA_OPTS into "-Xms100m -Xmx200m" or something else

FileChannel is available in from up to 1.3
http://flume.apache.org/FlumeUserGuide.html#recoverable-memory-channel

cheers
- Alex

On Nov 3, 2012, at 1:21 AM, Parag Hukeri <paraghukeri@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I tried to use the FileChannel; but am getting an exception -
>
> org.apache.flume.FlumeException: Unable to load channel type: file, class: org.apache.flume.channel.file.FileChannel
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.flume.channel.file.FileChannel
>
> I am using  apache-flume-1.2.0. What version of flume is needed for FileChannel?
>
> Thanks

Try switching to the File Channel.  This solved the issue for me.

> On 11/02/2012 07:15 PM, Parag Hukeri wrote:
>

> Hi
>
> I am using apache-flume-1.2.0. I have set up an ExecSource that tails a log file &
gets the entries from this log file. The log file size is approx 4 GB (approx 12 million lines
written over a period of 12 hrs). As the process starts everything seems to work fine for
approx 9.5 hrs. (approx 9.5 million lines of log data is successfully retrieved by ExecSource).
It then stops reading the output from tail. I don't see any exceptions being thrown. I don't
think the problem is with the actual tail command. I was able to successfully manually tail
the log file & all 12 million records were retrieved by tail. Running on a Linux system.
Not sure what the issue might be with ExecSource? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com