flume-user mailing list archives

From Roshan Naik <ros...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Syslog Infrastructure with Flume
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 20:31:27 GMT
Hari,
  Indeed from the end user point of view.. both would accomplish roughly
the same. From the implementation standpoint, however,  the Hive sink would
have to deal with HDFS (for data transfer) and Hive metastore separately to
get the job done. The HCat sink implementation, on the other hand, would
accomplish the same using just the HCat apis (for both aspects).  The HCat
sink implementation would be much simpler and cleaner as it wont have to
reinvent things (even if we reuse code form HDFS sink). The grunt work of
of moving data and "transactionally committing" them into partitions is
handled by HCat apis.
-roshan