flume-user mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Syslog Infrastructure with Flume
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2012 00:45:51 GMT
Since you ask...

In our environment our primary concern is audit logs - have have to audit banking transactions
as well as changes administrators make. We have a legacy system that needed to be integrated
that had records in a form different than what we want stored. We also need to allow administrators
to view events as close to real time as possible. Plus we have to aggregate data across 2
data centers. Although we are currently not including web server access logs we plan to integrate
them in over time.  We also have requirements from our security team to pass events for their
use to ArcSight.

1. We have a "log extractor" that receives legacy events as they occur and converts them into
our new format and passes them to Flume. All new applications use the Log4j 2 Flume Appender
to get data to Flume.
2. Flume passes the data to ArcSight for our security team's use.
3. We wrote a Flume to Cassandra Sink.
4. We wrote our own REST query services to retrieve the data from Cassandra.
5. Since we are using DataStax Enterprise version of Cassandra we have also set up "Analytic"
nodes that run Hadoop on top of Cassandra. This allows the data to be accessed via normal
Hadoop tools for data analytics.
6. We have written our own reporting UI component in our Administrative Platform to allow
administrators to view activities in real time or to schedule background data collection so
users can post process the data on their own.

We do not have anything to allow an admin to "tail" the log but it wouldn't be hard at all
to write an application to accept Flume events via Avro and display the last "n" events as
they arrive.

One thing I should point out. We format our events in accordance with RFC 5424 and store that
in the Flume event body. We then store all our individual pieces of audit event data in Flume
headers fields.  The RFC 5424 message is what we send to ArcSight. The event fields and the
compressed body are all stored in individual columns in Cassandra.

Ralph

On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:06 PM, Ron Thielen wrote:

> I am exactly where you are with this, except for the problem of my not having had time
to write a serializer to address the Hostname Timestamp issue.  Questions about the use of
Flume in this manner seem to recur on a regular basis, so it seems a common use case.

> Sorry I cannot offer a solution since I am in your shoes at the moment, unfortunately
looking at storing logs twice.

> Ron Thielen
>
> <image001.jpg>

to designing a reliable, highly available, scalable system to store logs from various sources,
including syslog.  Ideally, this system will meet the following requirements:

> Logs from syslog across all servers make their way into HDFS.
> Logs are stored in HDFS in a manner that is available for post-processing:
> Example:  HIVE partitions - with HDFS Flume Sink, can set hdfs.path to hdfs://namenode/flume/syslog/server=%{host}/facility=%{Facility}
> Example:  Custom map reduce jobs...
> Logs are stored in HDFS in a manner that is available for "reading" by sysadmins:
> During troubleshooting/firefighting, it is quite helpful to be able to login to a central
logging system and tail -f / grep logs.
> We need to be able to see the logs "live".
> Some folks may be wondering why are we choosing Flume for syslog, instead of something
like Graylog2 or Logstash?  The answer is we will be using Flume + Hadoop for the transport
and processing of other types of data in addition to syslog.  For example, webserver access
logs for post processing and statistical analysis.  So, we would like to make the most use
of the Hadoop cluster, keeping all logs of all types in one redundant/scalable solution.
Additionally, by keeping both syslog and webserver access logs in Hadoop/HDFS, we can begin
to correlate events.

> I've run into some snags while attempting to implement Flume in a manner that satisfies
the requirements listed in the top of this message:

> Logs to HDFS:
> I can indeed use the Flume HDFS Sink to reliably write logs into HDFS.
> Needed to write custom serializer to add Hostname and Timestamp fields back to syslog
messages.
> See:  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-1666
> Logs to HDFS in manner available for reading/firefighting/troubleshooting by sysadmins:
> Flume HDFS Sink uses the BucketWriter for recording flume events to HDFS.
> Creates data files like:  /flume/syslog/server=%{host}/facility=%{Facility}/FlumeData.1350997160213
> Each file is format of FlumeData (or custom prefix) followed by . followed by unix timestamp
of when the file was created.
> This is somewhat necessary... As you could have multiple Flume writers, writing to the
same HDFS, the files cannot be opened by more than one writer.  So each writer should write
to its own file.
> Latest file, currently being written to, is suffixed with ".tmp".
> This approach is not very sysadmin-friendly....
> You have to find the latest (ie. the .tmp files) and hadoop fs -tail -f /path/to/file.tmp
> Hadoop's fs -tail -f command first prints the entire file's contents, then begins tailing.
> So the sum of it all is Flume is awesome for getting syslog (and other) data into HDFS
for post processing, but not the best at getting it into HDFS in a sysadmin troubleshooting/firefighting
format.  In an ideal world, I have syslog data coming into Flume via one transport (i.e. SyslogTcp
Source or SyslogUDP Source) and being written into HDFS in a manner that is both post-processable
and sysadmin-friendly, but it looks like this isn't going to happen.

> I've thus investigated some alternative approaches to meet the requirements.  One of
these approaches is to have all of my servers send their syslog messages to a central box
running rsyslog.  Then, rsyslog would perform one of the following actions:

> Write logs to HDFS directly using 'omhdfs' module, in a format that is both post-processable
and sysadmin-friendly :-)
> Write logs to HDFS directly using 'hadoop-fuse-dfs' utility, which has HDFS mounted as
a filesystem.
> Write logs to a local filesystem and also replicate logs into a flume agent, configured
with a SyslogSource and HDFS sink.
> Option #1 sounds great.  But unfortunately the 'omhdfs' module for rsyslog isn't working
very well.  I've gotten it to login to Hadoop/HDFS but it has issues creating/appending files.
 Additionally, templating is somewhat suspect (ie. making directories /syslog/someserver/somefacility
dynamically).

> Option #2 sounds reasonable, but either the HDFS FUSE module doesn't support append mode
(yet) or rsyslog is trying to create/open the files in a manner not compliant with HDFS.
No surprise, as we all know HDFS can be somewhat "special" at times ;-)  It's actually no
matter anyways... Trying to "tail -f" a file mounted via HDFS FUSE is rather useless.  The
data is only and finally fed to the tail command once a full 64MB (or whatever you use) block
size of data has been written to the file.  One would only be able to use "hadoop fs -tail
-f /path/to/log" which has its own issues mentioned previously.

> Option #3 would definitely work.  However, now I'm storing my logs twice.  Once on some
local filesystem and another time in HDFS.  It works but its not ideal as it's a waste of
space.  And you've probably noticed from this email so far, I'd prefer the ideal solution
:-)

> Note:  Astute flumers would probably look at option #3 and recommend making use of the
RollingFileSink in addition to the HDFSSink.  Unfortunately, the RollingFileSink doesn't support
templated/dynamic directory creation like the HDFSSink with its hdfs.path setting of "hdfs://namenode/flume/syslog/server=%{host}/facility=%{Facility}".

> So what exactly am I asking here?  Well, I'd like to know first how others are doing
this.  A hybrid of rsyslog and Flume?  All and only Flume?  With custom serializers/interceptors/sinks?
 Or perhaps... how would you recommend I handle this?