flume-user mailing list archives

From Hari Shreedharan <hshreedha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Help determining exit code from flume avro-client
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 18:47:24 GMT
Hi Paul.

Thanks for reporting this. It does look like Flume does not return non-zero error code even
if there was an exception. I filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLUME-1670 to address
this.

Thanks,
Hari

--
Hari Shreedharan

On Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Paul Chavez wrote:

> I am working on getting the flume avro-client functionality working on Windows, and am
currently stuck on how to determine if the file was sent successfully.

> I used the blog post at http://mapredit.blogspot.com/2012/07/run-flume-13x-on-windows.html
to guide me and have built the 1.4.0 snapshot successfully. I can manually send files along
to flume using the ''org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient" class.

> The full command I am using is invoked via batch file with the following single line:
> "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_37\bin\java.exe" -Xmx20m -Dlog4j.configuration=file:///C:\apache-flume-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT\conf\log4j.properties
-cp "C:\apache-flume-1.4.0-SNAPSHOT\lib\*" org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient -H 10.20.2.8
-p 6240 -F%1

> My intention is to invoke from Powershell like so:
> .\flume.bat C:\IISLogs\W3SVC100\u_ex121029.log
>
> This is working well and I am able to successfully send IIS and our app logs to flume
and then onto HDFS without issues. Now I am trying to automate the process, and need to know
if the operation failed for some reason. If I simply turn off the flume source I can trigger
an error which is dumped to console like so (using flume.root.logger=DEBUG,console in the
log4j file):

> 2012-10-30 11:14:22,185 (main) [ERROR - org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.main(AvroCLIClient.java:76)]
Unable t
> o open connection to Flume. Exception follows.
> org.apache.flume.FlumeException: NettyAvroRpcClient { host: x.x.x.x, port: 6240 }: RPC
connection error
>         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.connect(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:117)
>         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.connect(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:93)
>         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.configure(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:507)
>         at org.apache.flume.api.RpcClientFactory.getDefaultInstance(RpcClientFactory.java:169)
>         at org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.run(AvroCLIClient.java:168)
>         at org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.main(AvroCLIClient.java:68)
> Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error connecting to /x.x.x.x:6240
>         at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.getChannel(NettyTransceiver.java:261)
>         at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.<init>(NettyTransceiver.java:203)
>         at org.apache.avro.ipc.NettyTransceiver.<init>(NettyTransceiver.java:152)
>         at org.apache.flume.api.NettyAvroRpcClient.connect(NettyAvroRpcClient.java:106)
>         ... 5 more
> Caused by: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: no further information
>         at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.checkConnect(Native Method)
>         at sun.nio.ch.SocketChannelImpl.finishConnect(SocketChannelImpl.java:599)
>         at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink$Boss.connect(NioClientSocketPipelineSink.java:
> 401)
>         at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink$Boss.processSelectedKeys(NioClientSocketPipeli
> neSink.java:370)
>         at org.jboss.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioClientSocketPipelineSink$Boss.run(NioClientSocketPipelineSink.java:292)

>         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
>         at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
> 2012-10-30 11:14:22,185 (main) [DEBUG - org.apache.flume.client.avro.AvroCLIClient.main(AvroCLIClient.java:81)]
Exiting

> Despite the ERROR message being logged to the console, java.exe still exits with code
0, indicating success. Is there a way to use the console appender to trigger java.exe to send
a non-0 exit code if an error occurs so the rest of my automation tooling can detect the error?
I can parse the output with Powershell and have it send a non-0 exit code itself, but looking
for a more 'native' way to do this.