flume-user mailing list archives

From David Capwell <dcapw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Why does ComponentConfigurationFactory.create pass classname as part of init
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 20:30:14 GMT
Its not a blocker.  I have a setup working right now for what we are trying
to do.

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:56 AM, Hari Shreedharan <
hshreedharan@cloudera.com> wrote:

>  I don't remember why I did this at that time. I will take a look at this
> when I get some time and get back to you. FWIW, this is part of a yet to be
> completed component-wise configuration system which I plan to get back to
> some time soon. Hopefully, this is not a blocker for you as of now.
>
> Thanks,
> Hari
>
> --
> Hari Shreedharan
>
> On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 at 11:02 PM, David Capwell wrote:
>
> I guess my real question would be why my custom ComponentConfiguration has
> to have this constructor.  Here is quick sample of what i mean:
>
> public void createInstance() {
>     final ComponentConfiguration config =
> ComponentConfigurationFactory.create(
>         "name",
>         RandomConfig.class.getName(),
>         ComponentConfiguration.ComponentType.SOURCE);
>   }
>
>   public static class RandomConfig extends ComponentConfiguration {
>
>     public RandomConfig() {
>       super("my awesome name");
>     }
>   }
>
> This fails since the constructor doesn't exist.  If i add a param "String
> ignored" then it works just fine.
>
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM, Hari Shreedharan <
> hshreedharan@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>  From:
> http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/reflect/member/ctorInstance.html
>
> *There are two reflective methods for creating instances of classes:
> java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/reflect/Constructor.html#newInstance%28java.lang.Object...%29>and
> Class.newInstance()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html#newInstance%28%29>.
> The former is preferred and is thus used in these examples because:*
>
>    - *Class.newInstance()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html#newInstance%28%29>can
only invoke the zero-argument constructor, while
>    Constructor.newInstance()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/reflect/Constructor.html#newInstance%28java.lang.Object...%29>may
invoke any constructor, regardless of the number of parameters.
>    *
>    - *Class.newInstance()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html#newInstance%28%29>throws
any exception thrown by the constructor, regardless of whether it is
>    checked or unchecked. InvocationTargetException<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/reflect/InvocationTargetException.html>
>    .*
>    - *Class.newInstance()<http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Class.html#newInstance%28%29>requires
that the constructor be visible;