flume-user mailing list archives

From Steve Johnson <st...@webninja.com>
Subject Re: Would someone please comment on Tail Source in NG?
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:06:32 GMT
Chris, I'm testing something similar from the sounds of it.  We were
originally going to go with the idea of using some sort of log tailer to
pass events (log recs) into the flume agent.  Right now, I'm testing using
a simple perl script that reads a rotated log file, and sends them over the
network to a flume agent using the NetCat source.  This is not ideal, but
is good enough for some initial Flume testing, which right now, I'm just
trying to stress test the system.

When you think about it, the nature of tailing logs is that you really
can't guarantee delivery anyway.  For instance, what happens if you need to
take your server down, or the tailer fails and you need to restart it,
 where were you at in tailing the log?  In my case, it is as bad or worse
for us to duplicate a logrec as it is to miss them.  So tailing itself is a
tricky thing.  Unless you can always guarantee that you will always be able
to continue where you left off and never re-send data then it's probably
best to go right to the logging source and have that piece send directly to
flume (ie, avro, lf4j plugins etc.).  However, the downfall there is that
if the flume agent goes down, your app generating the logs should as well
to ensure you don't process requests that you can't keep a record of, or at
least write it smart enough to fall-back to a file when that happens so
that you can recover them in a batch process later.

However, if your using this for something like sysloging, error logs,
monitoring, it's probbaly not that critical if you duplicated or missed
some logrecs for a short time after a recovery.  I guess it really depends
on the application.  I'll be interested to hear your solution though for
this, as I'm still in the process myself.

Thanks

--
Steve Johnson
steve@webninja.com