flume-user mailing list archives

From Arvind Prabhakar <arv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New production setup
Date Fri, 18 May 2012 21:16:23 GMT
Hi Mahesh,

The concepts of Flume 1.x (NG) are different from Flume 0.9.x. For a quick
premier on the changed concepts and to understand them better, please
glance thorough the blog post we did earlier [2]. Due to these changes the
components developed for earlier version of Flume are not compatible with
the new implementation.

Regarding implementing custom sinks in Flume 1.x, it is fairly
straightforward. You create an implementation of the interface
org.apache.flume.Sink. If your implementation class is
com.exmample.custom.MySink, you can plug that into the system via the
following configuration:

agent.channels = c1
agent.sinks = s1

agent.sinks.s1.type = com.example.custom.MySink
agent.sinks.s1.channel = c1
agent.sinks.s1.sink_property = value

Any configuration within the agent.sinks.s1 namespace will be passed to the
configure() method implemented by your sink before it is start()ed. If the
system shutsdown, the sink will be stop()ped before that etc.

For even easier route into implementing custom sinks for Flume 1.x, just
extend out of an existing sink like the LoggerSink and override the
process() method.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Arvind Prabhakar

[2] https://blogs.apache.org/flume/entry/flume_ng_architecture

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 2:04 PM, M@he$h <maheshrns@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Arvind,
>
> I was using flume-0.9.x version and I had everything working nicely , the
> only issue I had was tailing a specific file which is in discussion in
> another thread. The query I have is : I had my own regexAll extractor and
> hbase sink java programs, so if I upgrade to flume-NG version , can I still
> use the custom extractor and hbase sink programs with flume-NG?
>
> the flume-NG wiki
> http://archive.cloudera.com/cdh4/cdh/4/flume-ng-1.1.0-cdh4.0.0b2/FlumeUserGuide.html,
does not give much explanation or samples on how to use the custom sinks.