flume-user mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: the rolling question for collector
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 04:31:43 GMT
Junxian:

The collector roll setting is just how often the collector closes and
opens a new file to write to. Collectors don't request data from the
agents; the data is pushed to the collector as it arrives and "when
it's ready." In the case of E2E reliability, events are "ready" when
they've been received from the agent source, taken by the agent sink,
written to the local disk's WAL, and then sent across the wire. As
you've guessed, there are other factors that can impact how fast data
moves from the agent to the collector and it mostly depends on the
reliability mode, disk speed, network, CPU, and any contention for
those resources.

Flume doesn't guarantee that events make it from the agent to the
collector in a certain amount of time. In other words, your test isn't
guaranteed to succeed by Flume. What it does guarantee is that all
events make it if you're using E2E mode.

Hope that helps.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 9:04 PM, Junxian Yan <junxian.yan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Copy this question to new group

Eric Sammer