flume-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Better Marketing
Date Sun, 28 Apr 2019 18:35:34 GMT
What I am seeing is that people go to the home page and cut the first paragraph as a description
of Flume. All I am really proposing is that we change that to more effectively describe Flume.
The description that is there is accurate but minimal. I would just like to rephrase that
paragraph to give a more complete description of what Flume can be used for.

As an aside, I have been working on Log4j, Spring-Cloud-Config and docker. In doing that I
have done some crude benchmarking which you can see at http://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/manual/cloud.html#Appender_Performance
<http://rgoers.github.io/log4j2-site/manual/cloud.html#Appender_Performance>. I was
quite surprised the performance of the Flume Embedded Appender with a memory channel. I would
have expected it to be more in line with the Async Loggers and at the most in line with the
Rolling File Appender since the event is essentially handed to another thread to be processed.
 It would be nice to see Flume be able to recommended for use as a log forwarder/aggregator
for all apps with Docker instead of just when guaranteed delivery is required and I would
love to upgrade the Flume documentation to describe how to do that.

Ralph

> On Apr 28, 2019, at 9:58 AM, Bessenyei Balázs Donát <bessbd@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I agree that marketing could be improved and I support finding a
> slogan that represents best what Flume is today.
> I am not sure about the wording that has been proposed, though. Can
> you please elaborate, Ralph?
>

> Thank you,
>
> Donat
>
> On Sun, Apr 28, 2019 at 6:19 PM Ralph Goers <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>>
>> When I read sites like https://www.slant.co/versus/959/960/~fluentd_vs_flume <https://www.slant.co/versus/959/960/~fluentd_vs_flume>
I get a bit discouraged at how people misunderstand Flume. Even a site like https://www.predictiveanalyticstoday.com/data-ingestion-tools/
<https://www.predictiveanalyticstoday.com/data-ingestion-tools/> is misleading by copying
our home page by just saying "Flume is a distributed, reliable, and available service for
efficiently collecting, aggregating, and moving large amounts of log data” and then copying
the image. This leads users to believe that Flume is only useful in a small set of use cases
and is intimately tied to Hadoop.

>> I believe the home page should be changed to indicate say that "Flume is a distributed,
reliable, and available service for efficiently collecting, aggregating, and streaming large
amounts of data”, and then following up to indicate that it is appropriate to use to move
any kind of streaming data such as application, audit, or system logs, real time events such
as stock quotes, or user transaction records.

>> The second sentence should also be modified to say "It is robust and fault tolerant
with tunable reliability mechanisms that can insure guaranteed delivery and many failover
and recovery mechanisms”.

>> I also think the very first image should be modified to not show just a web application
and HDFS as it seems to give people the impression that Flume is only usable with Hadoop or
in web applications. Unfortunately, only the png seems to have been committed so redoing the
diagram will mean starting from scratch.