flume-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Percy <mpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merging to trunk?
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2018 03:57:24 GMT
On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:48 AM, Wahrmann, Helmut <helmut.wahrmann@rsa.com
> wrote:
>
> I think it is not a problem to distribute the modules together if we have
> maintainers for them.
> It doesn't make sense to release Flume 1.9 in 2018 with support for module
> versions which were current in 2013.

> Best way would be to identify people willing to upgrade the modules to
> their latest version.
> If we can't find someone, we should distribute it separately.

I would be OK with upgrading Solr and ES simultaneously if we can do it in
a compatible way. However, there is no guarantee that the latest versions
of Solr and ES will be dependency-compatible. If they are, I would
certainly be in favor of merging such a patch.

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 2:49 AM, Ferenc Szabo <szaboferee@apache.org> wrote:

> I believe, that a clean and maintainable solution would be if the
> engine/framework itself could be separated from everything else,
> the dependency directions would be fixed, plugins would depend only on
> api-s  and after that, any source/sink/etc implementation would come as an
> individual module/plugin and would be loaded with an isolated classloader.

I agree that isolating Flume plugins from each other would solve this
problem once and for all. I wonder if we can do both things: come up with a
short-term "band-aid" patch to allow us to upgrade ES / Solr and also come
up with a longer-term plan to solve the underlying problem.

Mike