flume-dev mailing list archives

From Denes Arvay <de...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Flume 1.8 release proposal
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2017 16:14:54 GMT
Hi Tristan,

I understand your concerns. I do think, though, that most of the low
hanging fruits have been committed already and there are no uncommitted
tickets with explicit +1s.

I'd like to propose to continue with the release process as planned, given
44 tickets have been resolved since the 1.7 release, plus a couple of minor
changes have been committed without Jira tickets.
I think the community has just got a bit more active as it used to be some
months ago and I'd like to use this momentum to schedule releases more
often. It'd be nice to introduce maintenance release (e.g. release 1.8.1 in
about a month) and have more frequent minors - let's say one in every 3
months.
Having a faster release cadence would mean that doing a release would need
a lot less effort and we'd do the Jira grooming more often which eventually
could lead to a clean backlog and that we could set realistic expectations
for the contributors/users on when their changes/requested features will
get into a release.
But unfortunately we are not there yet, and I think this is the reason why
some patches have been in Patch available state for months, which - I do
agree - is frustrating.

I think working through this release process is a step to the above
outlined direction, so I'd like to move forward with it.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Denes