flume-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Percy <mpe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: branhes: flume-1.7 vs trunk
Date Wed, 13 Jul 2016 20:08:02 GMT
Hmm. Apparently I have forgotten to commit patches to both trunk and
flume-1.7 branches.

I remember a long time ago we instituted the process of committing to both
the trunk and flume-1.7 branches. However, I don't know of a good reason to
keep doing that.

Unless anyone objects, I propose we switch to the following branching model:

1. Only push to trunk on commit (usually)
2. Only create a version branch when we are branching for release
3. Only commit to the branch when we are about to release or when we plan
on releasing a patch release, such as 1.7.1, 1.7.2, etc.

I've seen this approach work in other projects and I think it is the most
intuitive development model.

Thoughts?

Mike

PS: In the meantime, I will cherry-pick all of my recent commits to the
flume-1.7 branch. I just don't think we should create a flume-1.8 branch
once we release Flume 1.7.0