flink-user mailing list archives

From Shachar Carmeli <carmeli....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flink incremental checkpointing - how long does data is kept in the share folder
Date Sun, 12 Apr 2020 07:32:24 GMT
Thank you for the quick response
Your answer related to the checkpoint folder that contains the _metadata file e.g. chk-1829

What about the "shared" folder , how do I know which  files in that folder are still relevant
and which are left over from a failed checkpoint , they are not directly related to the _metadata
checkpoint or am I missing something?

On 2020/04/07 18:37:57, Yun Tang <myasuka@live.com> wrote:
> Hi Shachar
>
> Why do we see data that is older from lateness configuration
> There might existed three reasons:
>
>   1.  RocksDB really still need that file in current checkpoint. If we upload one file
named as 42.sst at 2/4 at some old checkpoint, current checkpoint could still include that
42.sst file again if that file is never be compacted since then. This is possible in theory.
>   2.  Your checkpoint size is large and checkpoint coordinator could not remove as fast
as possible before exit.
>   3.  That file is created by a crash task manager and not known to checkpoint coordinator.
>
> How do I know that the files belong to a valid checkpoint and not a checkpoint of a crushed
job - so we can delete those files
> You have to call Checkpoints#loadCheckpointMetadata[1] to load latest _metadata in checkpoint
directory and compare the file paths with current files in checkpoint directory. The ones
are not in the checkpoint meta and older than latest checkpoint could be removed. You could
follow this to debug or maybe I could write a tool to help know what files could be deleted
later.

> [1] https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/693cb6adc42d75d1db720b45013430a4c6817d4a/flink-runtime/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/runtime/checkpoint/Checkpoints.java#L96
>
> Best
> Yun Tang

at a time , using incremental and using rocksdb.

> We run windows with lateness of 3 days , which means that we expect that no data in the
checkpoint share folder will be kept after 3-4 days ,Still We see that there is data from
more than that
> e.g.
> If today is 7/4 there are some files from the 2/4
>
> Sometime we see checkpoints that we assume (due to the fact that its index number is
not in synch) that it belongs to a job that crushed and the checkpoint was not used to restore
the job