flink-user mailing list archives

From Shachar Carmeli <carmeli....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Flink incremental checkpointing - how long does data is kept in the share folder
Date Tue, 21 Apr 2020 12:46:23 GMT
Hi Yun,

First of all sorry for the naming mistake , it was a typo
 How to judge that they are related to specific checkpoint?
  I judged by removing the files and restarting the job - seeing if it fails

in the code below I missed the privateState that is why I was missing files

What about recovery folders how can I know when and what files can I removed?
I see the folder contains recovery -<job-name>  and list of completedCheckpoint3bc1020bb0f9

Best,
Shachar

On 2020/04/20 12:14:35, Yun Tang <myasuka@live.com> wrote:
> Hi Shachar
>
> You can refer to [1] to know the directory structure. The files (usually ByteStreamStateHandle)
which are not in the shared folder are exclusive state like operator state or exclusive files
uploaded during each incremental checkpoint. And actually I don't understand why you would
say some files are not mentioned in the metadata file but are related to the checkpoint? How
to judge that they are related to specific checkpoint?

> BTW, my name is "Yun" which means cloud in Chinese, not the delicious "Yum" 🙂
>
> Best
> Yun Tang
> ________________________________

-> operatorSubtaskState.getManagedKeyedState().stream()
>                                                                         .flatMap(keyedStateHandle
-> ((IncrementalKeyedStateHandle) keyedStateHandle).getSharedState().values().stream()

   .map(streamStateHandle -> {

           totalSize[0] += streamStateHandle.getStateSize();

           String name = null;

           if (streamStateHandle instanceof FileStateHandle) {

                   name = ((FileStateHandle) streamStateHandle).getFilePath().getName();

           } else {

                   final String handleName = ((ByteStreamStateHandle) streamStateHandle).getHandleName();

                   name = new File(handleName).getName();

           }

           return name;

   }))))
>                                         .collect(Collectors.toSet());
>
> Thanks in advance
> Shachar
>
> On 2020/04/13 14:30:40, Yun Tang <myasuka@live.com> wrote:
> > Hi Shachar
> >
> > I think you could refer to [1] to know the directory structure of checkpoints. The
'_metadata' file contains all information of which  checkpointed data file belongs, e.g. file
paths under 'shared' folder. As I said before, you need to call Checkpoints#loadCheckpointMetadata
to load '_metadata' to know which files belonging to that checkpoint.

> > [1] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/ops/state/checkpoints.html#directory-structure
> >
> > Best
> > Yun Tang
> >
> > ________________________________

chk-1829
> > What about the "shared" folder , how do I know which  files in that folder are still
relevant and which are left over from a failed checkpoint , they are not directly related
to the _metadata checkpoint or am I missing something?

> > On 2020/04/07 18:37:57, Yun Tang <myasuka@live.com> wrote:
> > > Hi Shachar
> > >
> > > Why do we see data that is older from lateness configuration
> > > There might existed three reasons:
> > >
> > >   1.  RocksDB really still need that file in current checkpoint. If we upload
one file named as 42.sst at 2/4 at some old checkpoint, current checkpoint could still include
that 42.sst file again if that file is never be compacted since then. This is possible in
theory.
> > >   2.  Your checkpoint size is large and checkpoint coordinator could not remove
as fast as possible before exit.
> > >   3.  That file is created by a crash task manager and not known to checkpoint
coordinator.

> > > How do I know that the files belong to a valid checkpoint and not a checkpoint
of a crushed job - so we can delete those files
> > > You have to call Checkpoints#loadCheckpointMetadata[1] to load latest _metadata
in checkpoint directory and compare the file paths with current files in checkpoint directory.
The ones are not in the checkpoint meta and older than latest checkpoint could be removed.
You could follow this to debug or maybe I could write a tool to help know what files could
be deleted later.

> > > [1] https://github.com/apache/flink/blob/693cb6adc42d75d1db720b45013430a4c6817d4a/flink-runtime/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/runtime/checkpoint/Checkpoints.java#L96
> > >
> > > Best
> > > Yun Tang

one checkpoint at a time , using incremental and using rocksdb.

> > > We run windows with lateness of 3 days , which means that we expect that no
data in the checkpoint share folder will be kept after 3-4 days ,Still We see that there is
data from more than that
> > > e.g.
> > > If today is 7/4 there are some files from the 2/4
> > >
> > > Sometime we see checkpoints that we assume (due to the fact that its index
number is not in synch) that it belongs to a job that crushed and the checkpoint was not used
to restore the job