flink-user mailing list archives

From Piotr Nowojski <pi...@ververica.com>
Subject Re: KeyedStream and chained forward operators
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2020 14:46:36 GMT
Hi,

I’m not sure how can we help you here. To my eye, your code looks ok, what you figured about
pushing the keyBy in front of ContinuousFileReader is also valid and makes sense if you indeed
can correctly perform the keyBy based on the input splits. The problem should be somewhere
in your custom logic, maybe your KeySelector is not working exactly as expected? Maybe bucketing
is mis behaving? I would suggest you to reproduce the problem locally (not on cluster) with
some minimal data set and then decompose your job into a smaller components and validate them
independently, or to bisect the job to pin point where is the problem.

I’m not sure if you are aware of it, but just in case not, please take a look at the ways
how you can test your job [1]

Piotrek

[1] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/dev/stream/testing.html <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/dev/stream/testing.html>

> On 21 Apr 2020, at 17:35, Cliff Resnick <cresny@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm running a massive file sifting by timestamp DataSteam job from s3.
>
> The basic job is:
> FileMonitor -> ContinuousFileReader -> MultipleFileOutputSink
>
> The MultipleFileOutputSink sifts data based on timestamp to date-hour directories
>
> It's a lot of data, so I'm using high parallelism, but I want to maintain reasonable
output file size, so if I key post-ContinuousFileReader by 5-minute timestamp keys I get the
desired result of large files at the cost of a network shuffle.

> But since I also have timestamps on the input files I figured I could push back the keyed
stream to FileMonitor -> ContinuousFileReader and save the network shuffle. I tested this
and confirmed that it sort of worked and ContinuousFileReaders are receiving properly partitioned
input, but output post reader is now rebalanced and sinks produce lots of tiny files.