flink-user mailing list archives

From Salva Alcántara <salcantara...@gmail.com>
Subject Modelling time for complex events generated out of simple ones
Date Sun, 19 Apr 2020 18:03:57 GMT
My flink application generates output (complex) events based on the
processing of (simple) input events. The generated output events are to be
consumed by other external services. My application works using event-time
semantics, so I am bit in doubt regarding what should I use as the output
events' timestamp.

Should I use:

- the processing time at the moment of generating them?
- the event time (given by the watermark value)?
- both?

For my use case, I am using both for now. But maybe you can come up with
examples/justifications for each of the given options.