flink-user mailing list archives

From Theo Diefenthal <theo.diefent...@scoop-software.de>
Subject Re: Flink Serialization as stable (kafka) output format?
Date Mon, 20 Apr 2020 15:34:46 GMT
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for pointing me to the nice blog post.

It aligns with my readings that the flink serializer is fast, outperfoms avro (especially
reflect) and still supports schema evolution well. So nice done job @flink :)

But as Arvid says, Avro is compatible with much more languages than just JVM. Who knows how
my project grows in future and whether there are going to be people wanting to connect to
Kafka with Python/Go/whatever, ... As long as you don't recommend, I won't jump into using
flink as external serializer but keep with the internal usages of PojoSerializer everywhere
:)

I'll definitely also keep in mind that avro reflect performs much worse compared to avro specific/generic
then I expected.

Best regards
Theo

Von: "Robert Metzger" <rmetzger@apache.org>
An: "Arvid Heise" <arvid@ververica.com>
CC: "Theo Diefenthal" <theo.diefenthal@scoop-software.de>, "user" <user@flink.apache.org>

Gesendet: Sonntag, 19. April 2020 08:23:42
Betreff: Re: Flink Serialization as stable (kafka) output format?

Hey Theo,
we recently published a blog post that answers your request for a comparison between Kryo
and Avro in Flink: [ https://flink.apache.org/news/2020/04/15/flink-serialization-tuning-vol-1.html
| https://flink.apache.org/news/2020/04/15/flink-serialization-tuning-vol-1.html ]

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 9:27 AM Arvid Heise < [ mailto:arvid@ververica.com | arvid@ververica.com
] > wrote:

Hi Theo,

I strongly discourage the use of flink serialization for persistent storage of data. It was
never intended to work in this way and does not offer the benefits of Avro of lazy schema
evolution and maturity.

Unless you can explicitly measure that Avro is a bottleneck in your setup, stick with it.
It's the preferred way to store data in Kafka for a reason. It's mature, supports plenty of
languages, and the schema evolution feature will save you so many headaches in the future.

If it turns out to be a bottleneck, the most logical alternative is protobuf. Kryo is even
worse than Flink serializer for Kafka. In general, realistically speaking, it's so much more
cost-effective to just add another node to your Flink cluster and use Avro than coming up
with any clever solution (just assume that you need at least one man month to implement and
do the math).

And btw, you should always use generated Java/scala classes if possible for Avro. It's faster
and offers a much nicer development experience.

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 3:57 PM Robert Metzger < [ mailto:rmetzger@apache.org | rmetzger@apache.org