flink-user mailing list archives

From Morgan Geldenhuys <morgan.geldenh...@tu-berlin.de>
Subject How to determine average utilization before backpressure kicks in?
Date Tue, 25 Feb 2020 11:31:00 GMT
Hello community,

I am fairly new to Flink and have a question concerning utilization. I
was hoping someone could help.

Knowing that backpressure is essentially the point at which utilization
has reached 100% for any particular streaming pipeline and means that
the application cannot "keep up" with the messages coming into the system.

I was wondering, assuming a fairly stable input throughput, is there a
way of determining the average utilization as a percentage? Can we
determine how much more capacity each operator has before backpressure
kicks in from metrics alone, i.e. 60% of capacity for example? Knowing
that the maximum throughput of the DSP application is dictated by the
slowest part of the pipeline, we would need to identify the slowest
operator and then average horizontally.

The only method that I can see of determining the point at which the
system cannot keep up any longer is by scaling the input throughput
slowly until the backpressure HIGH alarm is shown and hence the number
of messages/sec is known.

Yes I know this is a gross oversimplification and there are many many
factors that need to be taken into account when dealing with
backpressure, but it would be nice to have a general indicator, a rough
estimate is fine.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
M.