flink-user mailing list archives

From Tzu-Li Tai <tzuli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: KafkaFetcher closed before end of stream is received for all partitions.
Date Mon, 17 Feb 2020 07:42:17 GMT
Hi,

Your observations are correct.
It is expected that the result of `KafkaDeserializationSchema#isEndOfStream`
triggers a single subtask to escape its fetch loop. Therefore, if a subtask
is assigned multiple partitions, as soon as one record (regardless of which
partition it came from) signals end of stream, then the subtask ends.

I'm afraid there is probably no good solution to this given the ill-defined
semantics of the `isEndOfStream` method. All reasonable approaches that come
to mind require some sort of external trigger to manually shut down the job.

For now, I've filed a JIRA to propose a possible solution to the semantics
of the method: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-16112