flink-user mailing list archives

From "Jiayi Liao" <bupt_...@163.com>
Subject Re:Apache Flink - Operator name and uuid best practices
Date Sat, 16 Nov 2019 16:18:51 GMT
Hi Mans!

Firstly let’s see how operator’s name and uid is used. AFAIK, operator’s name is used
in WebUI and metrics reporting, and uid is used to mark the uniqueness of operator which is
useful when you’re using state[1].

> Are there any restrictions on the length of the name and uuid attributes?

It’s pretty much the same as you define a string value, so there is no special restrictions
on this.

> Are there any restrictions on the characters used for name and uuid (blank spaces, etc)
?

I’m not a hundred percent sure about this but I run a testing program and it works fine.

> Can the name and uuid be the same ?

Yes. But uuids accross operators cannot be same.

For me I usually set name and uuid for almost every operator, which gives me better experience
in monitoring and scaling.

Hope this helps.

[1] https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-stable/ops/upgrading.html#matching-operator-state

Best,