flink-user mailing list archives

From Debasish Ghosh <ghosh.debas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Recommended approach to debug this
Date Tue, 24 Sep 2019 09:35:08 GMT
Well, I think I got the solution though I am not yet sure of the problem ..
The original code looked like this ..

Try {
  // from a parent class called Runner which runs a streamlet
  // run returns an abstraction which completes a Promise depending on
whether
  // the Job was successful or not
  val streamletExecution =
loadedStreamlet.streamlet.run(withPodRuntimeConfig)

  // the runner waits for the execution to complete
  // In normal circumstances it will run forever for streaming data source
unless
  // being stopped forcibly or any of the queries faces an exception
  Await.result(streamletExecution.completed, Duration.Inf)
} match { //..

and then the streamlet.run(..) in turn finally invoked the following ..

val env = StreamExecutionEnvironment.getExecutionEnvironment

// creates datastreams and read from / writes to Kafka
// I pasted the body of this earlier in the thread
buildExecutionGraph()

env.execute(..)

This DID NOT run and failed with the exception I reported earlier. But when
I change the code to get the run statement out of the Try block, things run
fine .. like this ..

// from a parent class called Runner which runs a streamlet
// run returns an abstraction which completes a Promise depending on whether
// the Job was successful or not
val streamletExecution = loadedStreamlet.streamlet.run(withPodRuntimeConfig)

Try {
  // the runner waits for the execution to complete
  // In normal circumstances it will run forever for streaming data source
unless
  // being stopped forcibly or any of the queries faces an exception
  Await.result(streamletExecution.completed, Duration.Inf)
} match { //..

Apparently it looks like the exception that I was facing earlier leaked
through the Flink engine and Try caught it and it got logged. But removing
it out of Try now enables Flink to catch it back and follow the course that
it should. But I am not sure if this is a cogent explanation and looking
forward to some more accurate one from the experts. Note there is no
asynchrony of concurrency going on here - the Runner code may look a bit
over-engineered but there is a context to this. The Runner code handles not
only Flink but other types of streaming engines as well like Spark and Akka
Streams.

regards.

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:17 AM Biao Liu <mmyy1110@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Zili,
>
> Thanks for pointing that out.
> I didn't realize that it's a REST API based case. Debasish's case has been
> discussed not only in this thread...
>
> It's really hard to analyze the case without the full picture.
>
> I think the reason of why `ProgramAbortException` is not caught is that he
> did something outside `env.execute`. Like executing this piece of codes
> inside a Scala future.
>
> I guess the scenario is that he is submitting job through REST API. But in
> the main method, he wraps `env.execute` with Scala future, not executing it
> directly.
> The reason of env has been set to `StreamPlanEnvironment` is
> `JarHandlerUtils` retrieves job graph through it.
> And the `ProgramAbortException` is not thrown out, because the Scala
> future tackles this exception.
> So retrieving job graph fails due to an unrecognized exception (Boxed
> Error).
>
> Thanks,
> Biao /'bɪ.aʊ/
>

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 at 10:44, Zili Chen <wander4096@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Biao,
>>
>> The log below already infers that the job was submitted via REST API and
>> I don't think it matters.
>>
>> at org.apache.flink.runtime.webmonitor.handlers.utils.JarHandlerUtils$
>> JarHandlerContext.toJobGraph(JarHandlerUtils.java:126)
>> at org.apache.flink.runtime.webmonitor.handlers.JarRunHandler.lambda$
>> getJobGraphAsync$6(JarRunHandler.java:142)
>>
>> What I don't understand it that flink DOES catch the exception at the
>> point it is reported thrown...
>>
>> Best,
>> tison.
>>

>> Biao Liu <mmyy1110@gmail.com> 于2019年9月24日周二 上午10:34写道:

>>> REST API to submit the job to the Job Manager
>>>
>>> So you are submitting job through REST API, not Flink client? Could you
>>> explain more about this?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Biao /'bɪ.aʊ/

I'm

I am

And here we r

Kubernetes Flink

It catches the
Regarding to

<ghosh.debasish@gmail.com> 写道:

readStream reads

off the tests, I don't see

job(abstractly).

于2019年9月23日周一

team on Slack?

Ghosh <

jobs to Kubernetes
it's difficult to debug in the
I get is the exception that I

be coming because of
reported BTW. I expected a Caused By
as to which area I should look into to

Ghosh <

try debugging. I am getting
on Kubernetes using the Flink

Fu <

to get the plan of a job
It's thrown with special purpose and
[1] and will not be thrown to end users

places to find out the cause
you used
at[2] to see if the

Ghosh <ghosh.debasish@gmail.com>

trace like this ..

of debugging ? I mean what
lead to such a stacktrace ? In my case it
does not give any information as to what