flink-user mailing list archives

From Ilya Karpov <idkf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is Flinks primary API language?
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2019 13:21:55 GMT
Thanks Yun Tang, we will keep that in mind!

> 26 марта 2019 г., в 11:27, Yun Tang <myasuka@live.com> написал(а):
>
> Hi Llya
>
> I believe Java is the main implementation language of Flink internals, flink-core is
the kernel module and implemented in Java.

> What's more:
> FILP6: Replace Scala implemented JobManager.scala and TaskManager.scala to new JobMaster.java
and TaskExecutor.java
> FILP32: Make flink-table Scala free.
>
> But for API level, from my point of view, I have never heard any plan to stop supporting
Scala.

> Best
> Yun Tang

use flink-streaming api (at least in the very beginning). Because of Spark jobs developing
experience we had before the choice for now is scala-api. However recently I’ve found a
ticket(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-11063 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-11063>)
with discussion(https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Improvement+Proposals
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/Flink+Improvement+Proposals>) where
java-api can become the first class citizen to overcome shortcomings java/scala interoperability,
and another one(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6756 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-6756>)
about absence of api methods in scala-api. That makes me think that java-api becomes a prior.
We are both comfortable with java and scala, but we want to implement Flink jobs and support
utilities dependent on api that progresses faster. Is java-api such a one? Is java the main
implementation language of Flink internals and api, and scala is a (or gravitates to be) java-api
wrapper?