It is definitely a solution ;)

You should be aware of the downsides though:

Best,

Dawid

On 21/02/2019 14:18, Stephen Connolly wrote:
Yes, it was the "watermarks for event time when no events for that shard" problem.

I am now investigating whether we can use a blended watermark of max(lastEventTimestamp - 1min, System.currentTimeMillis() - 5min) to ensure idle shards do not cause excessive data retention.

Is that the best solution?