flink-user mailing list archives

From "Zhang, Xuefu" <xuef...@alibaba-inc.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Integrate Flink SQL well with Hive ecosystem
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2018 21:04:42 GMT
Hi Rong,

Thanks for your feedback. Some of my earlier comments might have addressed some of your points,
so here I'd like to cover some specifics.

1. Yes, I expect that table stats stored in Hive will be used in Flink plan optimization,
but it's not part of compatibility concern (yet).
2. Both implementing Hive UDFs in Flink natively and making Hive UDFs work in Flink are considered.
3. I am aware of FLIP-24, but here the proposal is to make remote server compatible with HiveServer2.
They are not mutually exclusive either.
4. The JDBC/ODBC driver in question is for the remote server that Flink provides. It's usually
the servicer owner who provides drivers to their services. We weren't talking about JDBC/ODBC
driver to external DB systems.

Thanks,
Xuefu

Sender:Rong Rong <walterddr@gmail.com>
Sent at:2018 Oct 12 (Fri) 01:52
Recipient:Timo Walther <twalthr@apache.org>
Cc:dev <dev@flink.apache.org>; jornfranke <jornfranke@gmail.com>; Xuefu <xuefu.z@alibaba-inc.com>;
vino yang <yanghua1127@gmail.com>; Fabian Hueske <fhueske@gmail.com>; user <user@flink.apache.org>
Subject:Re: [DISCUSS] Integrate Flink SQL well with Hive ecosystem

Hi Xuefu,

Thanks for putting together the overview. I would like to add some more on top of Timo's comments.
1,2. I agree with Timo that a proper catalog support should also address the metadata compatibility
issues. I was actually wondering if you are referring to something like utilizing table stats
for plan optimization?
4. If the key is to have users integrate Hive UDF without code changes to Flink UDF, it shouldn't
be a problem as Timo mentioned. Is your concern mostly on the support of Hive UDFs that should
be implemented in Flink-table natively?
7,8. Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like some of the related components might have already
been discussed in the longer term road map of FLIP-24 [1]?
9. per Jorn's comment to stay clear from a tight dependency on Hive and treat it as one "connector"
system. Should we also consider treating JDBC/ODBC driver as part of the component from the
connector system instead of having Flink to provide them?

Thanks,
Rong

[1]. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLINK/FLIP-24+-+SQL+Client