Window operators drop late events by default. When they receive a late event, they already computed and emitted a result.
Since there is not good default behavior to hay ndle a late event in this case, they are simply dropped.
However, Flink offers multiple ways to explicitly handle late events such as sending them to a side output or computing and emitting an updated result.

So, if you apply a ProcessFunction before any other operator, you can handle all late events.

Best, Fabian

Thanks Fabian, My understand was that late event older than watermark is
dropped. So processFunction wont be called for late event. So I guess my
understanding was wrong. Or there is something more to it?