flink-user mailing list archives

From Joshua Griffith <JGriff...@CampusLabs.com>
Subject Re: Job Manager Configuration
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2017 19:56:56 GMT
I have an IO-dominated batch job with 471 distinct tasks (3786 tasks with parallelism) running
on 8 nodes with 12 GiB of memory and 4 CPUs each. I haven’t had any problems adding additional
tasks except for 1) tasks timing out the first time the cluster is started (I suppose the
JVM needs to warm up), and 2) the UI can’t really handle this many tasks, although using
Firefox Quantum makes it possible to see what’s going on.

Joshua

On Oct 31, 2017, at 10:25 AM, Chan, Regina <Regina.Chan@gs.com<mailto:Regina.Chan@gs.com>>
wrote:

Asking an additional question, what is the largest plan that the JobManager can handle? Is
there a limit? My flows don’t need to run in parallel and can run independently. I wanted
them to run in one single job because it’s part of one logical commit on my side.

Thanks,
Regina

From: Chan, Regina [Tech]
Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 3:22 PM
To: 'user@flink.apache.org<mailto:user@flink.apache.org>'
Subject: Job Manager Configuration

Flink Users,

I have about 300 parallel flows in one job each with 2 inputs, 3 operators, and 1 sink which
makes for a large job. I keep getting the below timeout exception but I’ve already set it
to a 30 minute time out with a 6GB heap on the JobManager? Is there a heuristic to better
configure the job manager?

Caused by: org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobClientActorSubmissionTimeoutException: Job submission
to the JobManager timed out. You may increase 'akka.client.timeout' in case the JobManager
needs more time to configure and confirm the job submission.

Regina Chan
Goldman Sachs – Enterprise Platforms, Data Architecture
30 Hudson Street, 37th floor | Jersey City, NY 07302 •  (212) 902-5697