flink-user mailing list archives

From Chesnay Schepler <ches...@apache.org>
Subject Re: RichMapFunction parameters in the Streaming API
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2017 08:46:18 GMT
The Configuration parameter in open() is a relic of the previous java
API where operators were instantiated generically.

Nowadays, this is no longer the case as they are serialized instead,
which simplifies the passing of parameters as you can
simply store them in a field of your UDF.

The configuration object passed to open() in case of the streaming API
is always empty, and we don't plan
to implement it since it provides little value due to the above.

As such, we suggest to pass either the parameter tool, configuration
instance or specific parameters through the constructor of user-defined
functions and store them in a field. This applies both to the batch and
streaming API.

Personally i would stay away from the global configuration option as it
is more brittle than the constructor approach, which makes
it explicit that this function requires these parameters.