flink-user mailing list archives

From Kien Truong <duckientru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Timer coalescing necessary?
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2017 11:56:58 GMT
Hi Aljoscha,

Could you clarify how the timer system works right now ?

For example, let's say I have a function F, with 3 keys that are
registered to execute at processing time T.

Would Flink maintain a single internal timer at time T, then run the
callback on all 3 keys when it's triggered ? Or there'd be 3 internal
timers that will be triggered separately at time T  ?

Best regards,

Kien

On 10/13/2017 6:43 PM, Aljoscha Krettek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you have multiple timers per key, then coalescing can make sense to reduce the burden
on the timer system. Coalescing them across different keys would not be possible right now.

> Best,
> Aljoscha
>
>> On 13. Oct 2017, at 06:37, Kien Truong <duckientruong@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We are having a streaming job where we use timers to implement key timeout for stateful
functions. Should we implement coalescing logic to reduce the number of timer trigger, or
it is not necessary with Flink?