flink-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Richter <s.rich...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: Flink Application Jar file on Docker container
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2017 16:12:17 GMT
Hi,

from the top of my head, I cannot see why this should not be possible, task managers just
need to be able to connect to their job manager. Unfortunately, I cannot give a real guarantee
here because I am not that deeply involved in this aspect of Flink.

Best,
Stefan

> Am 27.09.2017 um 12:39 schrieb Rahul Raj <rahulrajmsrit@gmail.com>:
>
> Hi Stefan,
>
> I have a question in my mid out of curiosity.... Is it possible to run flink application
within docker container by using flink cluster set up on host?

> Rahul Raj
>
> On 26 September 2017 at 17:29, Stefan Richter <s.richter@data-artisans.com <mailto:s.richter@data-artisans.com>>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I correctly understood the approach outlined on github, you can start a standalone
job manager and the task manager get the JM information either through the provided configuration
or through Zookeeper. Take a look at the „running section“, e.g.:

> 1) „Via Mesos/Marathon: Start a standalone JobManager (you need to replace the flink_recovery_zookeeper_quorum
variable with a valid setting for your cluster) [...]“
> 2) „Via standalone Docker: Start a standalone JobManager (with host networking, binding
on 127.0.0.1) […]“

> Best,
> Stefan
>

>> Am 26.09.2017 um 12:43 schrieb Rahul Raj <rahulrajmsrit@gmail.com <mailto:rahulrajmsrit@gmail.com>>:
>>
>> Hi Stefan,
>>
>> Thanks a lot for your answer and sharing the link https://github.com/mesoshq/flink
<https://github.com/mesoshq/flink>. I went through this and saw its spawning Jobmanager
and taskmanager. Now I think, this should be happening. First JobManager will be started on
flink cluster on one node, then task manager will be started on another node and both should
be running in docker containers on different nodes. Now, my question is how flink's JobManager
will get to know about the taskManagers as they are in in different docker containers on different
nodes? Will it happen via Mesos?

>> Can we use mesos-appmaster.sh instead which is already built in flink for deployment
on mesos?

>> Rahul Raj
>>
>> On 26 September 2017 at 15:32, Stefan Richter <s.richter@data-artisans.com <mailto:s.richter@data-artisans.com>>
wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as in my answer to your previous mail, I suggest to take a look at https://github.com/mesoshq/flink
<https://github.com/mesoshq/flink> . Unfortunately, there is not yet a lot documentation
about the internals of how this works, so I am also looping in Till who might know more about
specific questions about how things work together exactly.

>> Best,
>> Stefan
>>
>>> Am 26.09.2017 um 09:21 schrieb Rahul Raj <rahulrajmsrit@gmail.com <mailto:rahulrajmsrit@gmail.com>>:
>>>
>>> Currently I have a Flink Application Jar file running on Mesos cluster. The flink
application simply reads data from Kafka and put it to HDFS.

>>> Now we are planning to create a docker image to  run this application jar file
inside docker containers on Mesos cluster via Marathon.

>>> Below are the questions that I am looking answers for:
>>>
>>> 1. While building the docker image, how do I include flink-1.3.2 set up and
my mesos config in flink?

>>> 2. How shall I run my existing flink application jar?
>>>
>>> 3. Will running my flink application jar on docker containers will run it on
mesos slaves on different docker containers? How docker , Flink, mesos , Marathon will work
together in my case?