flink-user mailing list archives

From Kostas Kloudas <k.klou...@data-artisans.com>
Subject Re: CustomPartitioner that simulates ForwardPartitioner and watermarks
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2017 08:25:44 GMT
Hi Yunus,

I see. Currently I am not sure that you can simply broadcast the watermark only, without
having a shuffle.

But one thing to notice about your algorithm is that, I am not sure if your algorithm solves

the problem you encounter.

Your algorithm seems to prioritize the stream with the elements with the smallest timestamps,
rather than throttling fast streams so that slow ones can catch up.

Example: Reading a partition from Kafka that has elements with timestamps 1,2,3
will emit watermark 3 (assuming ascending watermark extractor), while another task that reads

another partition with elements with timestamps 5,6,7 will emit watermark 7. With your algorithm,

if I get it right, you will throttle the second partition/task, while allow the first one
to advance, although
both read at the same pace (e.g. 3 elements per unit of time).

I will think a bit more on the solution.

Some sketches that I can find, they all introduce some latency, e.g. measuring throughput
in taskA
and sending it to a side output with a taksID, then broadcasting the side output to a downstream
operator
which is sth like a coprocess function (taskB) and receives the original stream and the side
output, and
this is the one that checks if “my task" is slow.

As I said I will think on it a bit more,
Kostas

> On Sep 27, 2017, at 6:32 PM, Yunus Olgun <yunolgun@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kostas,
>
> Yes, you have summarized well. I want to only forward the data to the next local operator,
but broadcast the watermark through the cluster.

> - I can’t set parallelism of taskB to 1. The stream is too big for that. Also, the
data is ordered at each partition. I don’t want to change that order.

> - I don’t need KeyedStream. Also taskA and taskB will always have the same parallelism
with each other. But this parallelism can be increased in the future.

> The use case is: The source is Kafka. At our peak hours or when we want to run the streaming
job with old data from Kafka, always the same thing happens. Even at trivial jobs. Some consumers
consumes faster than others. They produce too much data to downstream but watermark advances
slowly at the speed of the slowest consumer. This extra data gets piled up at downstream operators.
When the downstream operator is an aggregation, it is ok. But when it is a in-Flink join;
state size gets too big, checkpoints take much longer and overall the job becomes slower or
fails. Also it effects other jobs at the cluster.

> So, basically I want to implement a throttler. It compares timestamp of a record and
the global watermark. If the difference is larger than a constant threshold it starts sleeping
1 ms for each incoming record. This way, fast operators wait for the slowest one.

> The only problem is that, this solution came at the cost of one network shuffle and data
serialization/deserialization. Since the stream is large I want to avoid the network shuffle
at the least.

> I thought operator instances within a taskmanager would get the same indexId, but apparently
this is not the case.

> Thanks,
>
>> On 27. Sep 2017, at 17:16, Kostas Kloudas <k.kloudas@data-artisans.com <mailto:k.kloudas@data-artisans.com>>
wrote:

>> Hi Yunus,
>>
>> I am not sure if I understand correctly the question.
>>
>> Am I correct to assume that you want the following?
>>
>> 				———————————> time
>>
>> 		ProcessA						ProcessB
>>
>> Task1: W(3) E(1) E(2) E(5)			W(3) W(7) E(1) E(2) E(5)
>>
>> Task2: W(7) E(3) E(10) E(6)			W(3) W(7) E(3) E(10) E(6)
>>

>> In the above, elements flow from left to right and W() stands for watermark and E()
stands for element.
>> In other words, between Process(TaksA) and Process(TaskB) you want to only forward
the elements, but broadcast the watermarks, right?

>> If this is the case, a trivial solution would be to set the parallelism of TaskB
to 1, so that all elements go through the same node.

>> One other solution is what you did, BUT by using a custom partitioner you cannot
use keyed state in your process function B because the
>> stream is no longer keyed.
>>
>> A similar approach to what you did but without the limitation above, is that in the
first processFunction (TaskA) you can append the
>> taskId to the elements themselves and then do a keyBy(taskId) between the first and
the second process function.

>> These are the solutions that I can come up with, assuming that you want to do what
I described.

>> But in general, could you please describe a bit more what is your use case?
>> This way we may figure out another approach to achieve your goal.
>> In fact, I am not sure if you earn anything by broadcasting the watermark, other
than
>> re-implementing (to some extent) Flink’s windowing mechanism.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Kostas
>>
>>> On Sep 27, 2017, at 4:35 PM, Yunus Olgun <yunolgun@gmail.com <mailto:yunolgun@gmail.com>>
wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a simple streaming job such as:
>>>
>>> source.process(taskA)
>>>           .process(taskB)
>>>
>>> I want taskB to access minimum watermark of all parallel taskA instances, but
the data is ordered and should not be shuffled. ForwardPartitioner uses watermark of only
one predecessor. So, I have used a customPartitioner.

>>> source.process(taskA)
>>>           .map(AssignPartitionID)
>>>           .partitionCustom(IdPartitioner)
>>>           .map(StripPartitionID)
>>>           .process(taskB)
>>>
>>> At AssignPartitionID function, I attach getRuntimeContext().getIndexOfThisSubtask()
as a partitionId to the object. At IdPartitioner, I return this partitionId.

>>> This solved the main requirement but I have another concern now,
>>>
>>> Network shuffle: I don’t need a network shuffle. I thought within a taskmanager,
indexId of taskA subtasks would be same as indexId of taskB subtasks. Unfortunately, they
are not. Is there a way to make partitionCustom distribute data like ForwardPartitioner, to
the next local operator?

>>> As I know, this still requires object serialization/deserialization since operators
can’t be chained anymore. Is there a way to get minimum watermark from upstream operators
without network shuffle and object serilization/deserialization?