flink-user mailing list archives

From Florin Dinu <florin.d...@epfl.ch>
Subject the design of spilling to disk
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2017 16:00:16 GMT
Hello everyone,

In our group at EPFL we're doing research on understanding and potentially improving the performance
of data-parallel frameworks that use secondary storage.

I was looking at the Flink code to understand how spilling to disk actually works.

So far I got to the UnilateralSortMerger.java and its spill and reading threads. I also saw
there are some spilling markers used.

I am curious if there is any design document available on this topic.

I was not able to find much online.

If there is no such design document I would appreciate if someone could help me understand
how these spilling markers are used.

At a higher level, I am trying to understand how much data does Flink spill to disk after
it has concluded that it needs to spill to disk.

Thank you very much

Florin Dinu