flink-user mailing list archives

From Chesnay Schepler <ches...@apache.org>
Subject Re: yarn and checkpointing
Date Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:06:38 GMT
Checkpoints are only used for recovery during the job execution.

If the entire cluster is shutdown and restarted you will need to take a
savepoint and restore from that.

On 29.08.2017 16:46, Gwenhael Pasquiers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to use checkpointing to restore the state of an app after a restart on
yarn ?

>  From what I've seen it looks like that checkpointing only works within a flink cluster
life-time. However the yarn mode has one cluster per app, and (unless the app crashes and
is automatically restarted by the restart-strategy) the over-yarn-cluster has the same life
time as the app, so when we stop the app, we stop the cluster that will clean it's checkpoints.

> So when the app is stopped, the cluster dies and cleans the checkpoints folder. Then
of course it won't be able to restore the state at the next run.

> When running flink on yarn are we supposed to cancel with savepoint and then restore
from savepoint ?