flink-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Smirnov <asmir...@five9.com>
Subject Time zones problem
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2017 05:00:10 GMT
Hello everybody,

I’m exploring Flink options to build statistics engine for call center solution.
One thing I’m not sure how to implement.

Currently have the following jobs in the architecture.

Job #1 – is for matching start and end events and calculate durations. Like having call
started and call ended events it is possible to calculate how long was the call.
Job #2 – is for aggregating precomputed values using multiple time windows, like 1 hour,
1 day, 1 week. (can we define time windows run-time by the way?). Also it joins control stream
to care of subscription requests.

Supervisors, who consume the statistics, are spread around the world and can work in different
time zones.
So, having time window defined as 1 day results in different data for European and American
supervisors at exactly the same moment.

I’m not sure how to achieve that with Flink.
What are the best practices to work with different time zones? Any hint is appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain confidential information
of Five9 and/or its affiliated entities. Access by the intended recipient only is authorized.
Any liability arising from any party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information
contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the intended recipient, please
notify the sender immediately, destroy the original transmission and its attachments and do
not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the
information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments belongs to Five9 and/or
its affiliated entities.