flink-user mailing list archives

From "Marchant, Hayden " <hayden.march...@citi.com>
Subject RE: Using local FS for checkpoint
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2017 10:14:34 GMT
I didn’t think about NFS. That would save me the hassle of installing HDFS cluster just for
that, especially if my organization already has an NFS ‘handy’.

Thanks
Hayden

From: Tony Wei [mailto:tony19920430@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2017 12:12 PM
To: Marchant, Hayden [ICG-IT]
Cc: user@flink.apache.org
Subject: Re: Using local FS for checkpoint

Hi Marchant,

HDFS is not a must for storing checkpoints. S3 or NFS are all acceptable, as long as it is
accessible from job manager and task manager.
For AWS S3 configuration, you can refer to this page (https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.3/setup/aws.html<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__ci.apache.org_projects_flink_flink-2Ddocs-2Drelease-2D1.3_setup_aws.html&d=DwMFaQ&c=j-EkbjBYwkAB4f8ZbVn1Fw&r=g-5xYRH8L3aCnCNTROw5LrsB5gbTayWjXSm6Nil9x0c&m=FqFmOvFkeIVmEku6VDuGfbYpEZLcbN7UUGFUei8TrgA&s=Em489MhXME4sEtU03lj8groEt92mJWMIeAvcx7Hi7is&e=>).

Best,
Tony Wei

Whether I use RocksDB or FS State backends, if my requirements are to have fault-tolerance
and ability to recover with 'at-least once' semantics for my Flink job, is there still a valid
case for using a backing local FS for storing states? i.e. If a Flink Node is invalidated,
I would have thought that the only way it could recover (by re-starting the task on different
node), is if the state is stored in  a shared file system such as HDFS, S3 etc....

I am asking since I want to know if HDFS is a must have for my deployment.

Thanks,

Hayden